Ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribs!

After the surgery do your ribs kind of correct themselves? My chest bone is popping out too. I know there's another surgery you can have w/ your ribs but I'm wondering if that's really necessary. I have a 2nd opinion in May w/ Dr. Rand.

Thanks!
    Christina
    Christina
    Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
    Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
    Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Christina,

I have been wondering the same as you. The left side of my rib cage sits on top of my hip bone....however, I don't have a very large rib hump considering all the other problems I have. I asked the doc and he is hoping is my correct it self in time but can't say for sure. It's not painful but can be verryyy uncomfortable at times. When you have your second opinion lets us know what the doc says...good luck! I go in April 15....count down in on
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chmesh View Post
      After the surgery do your ribs kind of correct themselves? My chest bone is popping out too. I know there's another surgery you can have w/ your ribs but I'm wondering if that's really necessary.
      The surgery you're talking about to shave the rib hump is called a thoracoplasty. Some surgeons do them more than others, and it's my understanding it's generally done for cosmetic improvement.

Although I had a fairly significant pre-op rib hump if I bent over, it never bothered me psychologically. I told Hanson right off the bat I did NOT want a thoracoplasty, and he said he didn't recommend one for me anyway.

He estimated about a 50% correction of the rib hump simply from my fusion surgery, and that proved to be about right. I still have a slight one if I bend over, but again, I never cared before - and certainly don't now ;-).

You say your "chest bone is popping out": Do you mean actually ON your chest (as in the area between your collarbones and breasts), or the front of the ribs (below your breasts)?

Before surgery, my right side ribs protruded in the front. The first thing I noticed after surgery (it just so happened I woke up with my hands there - LOL) was that my ribs were even and flat. My surgery corrected it 100%.

Best of luck to you on your second opinion, and surgery, should you choose that route!

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

txmarinemom,

Just wanted to comment to you on how impressed my husband and I are that you did an AIDS walk 33 days post op! Very impressive. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get moving and heal quickly after surgery! Thanks for bring a good motivator!

As for the ribs...did you have one side that sat right on top of your hip bone and did that improve after surgery? I am hoping mine does...the rib hump really is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't consider having it fixed. My husband only just noticed about a month ago and it has been there for a long time lol. I am just sick of the crushing/grating feeling I have on my right side.

Susan
        Susan

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
          txmarinemom,

Just wanted to comment to you on how impressed my husband and I are that you did an AIDS walk 33 days post op! Very impressive. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get moving and heal quickly after surgery! Thanks for bring a good motivator!
          Susan, I also hope you do well. A positive attitude plays a very large part, and you sound like you have that down ;-). Trust me, I was every bit as apprehensive as you before surgery. I know right now it feels like walking into the unknown, but you'll be fine.

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
          As for the ribs...did you have one side that sat right on top of your hip bone and did that improve after surgery? ... I am just sick of the crushing/grating feeling I have on my right side.
          My curve was thoracic, so no ... I didn't have that sensation. I've seen many people with lumbar curves describe the grinding feeling (or being "squished"), however, and most have written it goes away (or at least greatly improves) after surgery. I'm sure someone else (with a lumbar correction) can elaborate.

Best regards,
          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Susan

My Rib bones were resting on top of my hip bone. I had a severe side shift to the right and it was the ribs resting on the hip bone/pelvis that was holding me up. I am what I consider totally straight after this surgery and no longer have that awful feeling you described all so well.
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by sccrm08 View Post
              Susan

My Rib bones were resting on top of my hip bone. I had a severe side shift to the right and it was the ribs resting on the hip bone/pelvis that was holding me up. I am what I consider totally straight after this surgery and no longer have that awful feeling you described all so well.
              I have a 5 centimeter shift to the left....I am glad that I can look forward to that being gone (hopefully) yaa! Thank you
              Susan

Comment

Susan,

Before my surgery my ribs were resting on my pelvis. I lost truncal height as my predominantly lumbar curve got bigger and bigger. My surgery did lift my ribs off my pelvis, but not as much as I had hoped given my age and the severity and rotation of my curve. Nevertheless, I regained some of my lost height and I don’t look quite as short-waisted as I did before my surgery. Additionally, the crease that ran across my mid-section that made me look like I was cut in half is completely gone.

Comment

my ribs were never resting on my hip bones, but after surgery, my waist is definitely lengthened. It had shortened over the 25+ years since I got out of my brace.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

As for the ribs...did you have one side that sat right on top of your hip bone and did that improve after surgery? I am hoping mine does...the rib hump really is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't consider having it fixed. My husband only just noticed about a month ago and it has been there for a long time lol. I am just sick of the crushing/grating feeling I have on my right side.

I finally had to consider surgery due to years of pain and finally twisting of my rib cage. Mine was a lumbar curve of 65 degrees and I am fused from T10 to my pelvis. The rib hump, position of ribs and twisting was immediately corrected from this fusing. No regrets whatsoever. Love my "new" bod.
                    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                    Age 54
                    T10 to Sacrum
                    Curve 65 degrees
                    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Hmm..

This might be a strange question, but could you have a thoracoplasty by itself? No rods, no fusion, just scraping that rib hump. Is that even worth it? I know it wouldn't be the best option, health-wise, but I'm just wondering if it's performed.

Comment

Ribs

I had surgery in Nov 08. Along with the scoliosis, I also had a very protruding rib bone on my left side, due to rotation of the spine while it was curving. Unfortunately, the surgery did very little to correct that protruding rib bone, and now I'm contemplating a cosmetic procedure. I have always had real issues with that protruding rib bone, and since I've gone through this awful surgery, I think I deserve it! (That's my justification - ha). My surgeon says my rib hump did not require correction, so for that I'm thankful. But that other nasty looking bone needs to go away!

Comment

Chris,

That's quite a large curve you had there. Mine is 50 degrees but appears to be a very stiff curve. The doc seems to think he can correct to 20 degrees. I am hoping he just doesn't want me to expect to much and will surprise me. He said the main goal of my surgery will be to correct the 5 centimeter shift I have. It will be nice to have my shoulders/head over my hips again.....haven't been that way since I was a kid. I know how to hide it pretty good though!

Susan
                          Susan

Comment

Originally posted by curvycakes View Post
                            This might be a strange question, but could you have a thoracoplasty by itself? No rods, no fusion, just scraping that rib hump. Is that even worth it? I know it wouldn't be the best option, health-wise, but I'm just wondering if it's performed.
                            I think you'd have a very difficult time finding a reputable surgeon to do it ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                            X