Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appearence of Back and body Before and then After Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearence of Back and body Before and then After Surgery?

Hello,
    I do not post here too regularly because I find reading some of the things makes me particularly nervous about the surgery I am likely to have.
    I am aware that all backs and spines are different but I was hoping that some of you could tell me what your, or your childrens backs looked like before and after their surgery.
    I did kind of ask my surgeon but his answer really referred to what happens with the bone and didn't really give me an idea of what the cosmetic effects will be.
    If it helps my spine has a thoracic curve I think,[The middle section I think, but definitely not lumber. It is an S shape, and can also be classified as 3C.
    I have a very prominent rib hump on the right side of my back, and then a very shallow side of my back opposite. On my front side there is a rib hump but its not that prominent. Because of the curve my upper body is a little bit smaller proportionally to that of my lower body.
    I do know that all cases are different but it would be helpful for me to know what has happened in other situations and to what extent can surgery fix these things?

It depends on the degree of your curve and the flexibility of your spine. Also the exact location is a factor and I could go on and on. Granted, I am definately not the person on here with alot of experience since I have only been learning about scoliosis for about a year and a half since my daughter was first diagnosed at age 9. I can only tell you about our experience. Her curve was 52 degree thoracic and a 52 degree lumbar compensatory curve. Her sholders and hips were uneven and she had a rib hump (only noticiable when she was bending). She was fused last week from T1 to T12. Her back looks great but she is leaning to one side a little. I am asking the doctor about this at her checkup tomorrow but from what I have been hearing, this should correct itself within a year. I will update as this improves or not.

Overall, the surgery (though hard) has been a positive experience for her. She says that she is breathing better and other pains in her legs and hips that she had before surgery is no longer bothering her (and this is just a week after surgery So, even if her back is not "PERFECT" I believe this was the best decision and she agrees. Hopefully, her shoulders will straighten up. Her body in general looks much better but more importantly she FEELS much better. Hope this helps.

Sharon

Comment

Okay thanks.
      I should have mentioned that my curve is about 60 degrees.

Comment

Dan,

My daughter was 13 y.o. when she had her surgery. She is fused from T3-L2, which is a long fusion. Her back is not perfect and never will be. Her left shoulder blade sticks out and she has a very thin, white scar. She wears whatever clothing she wants without worrying about the appearance of her back. Before surgery she had a large hump on her back which was mostly noticeable when she bent over. Her shoulders were uneven. Her hips were uneven which made her shorts look crooked. Her shirts just didn't hang right.

Is she happy she had the surgery? Yes. Like I said, her back isn't perfect, but it is a major improvement. Hopefully, by having surgery she won't have pain and continued disfigurement caused by her Scoliosis.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Dan,

My son had his surgery almost two years ago. He had a very prominant rib hump even without bending. Thoracic curve was over 80 at time of surgery. He did not have a thorocoplasty during his surgery and the surgeon said that some of the ribhump would go away with the derotation. To be truthful when he has his shirt off to me his ribhump is still quite noticable but not as bad as it was. He is totally fine with it, doesn't bother him at all. He has been complimented at his "great posture" by people who do not know about his scoliosis/surgery and yes he does look great to unknowing eyes. He will always have scoliosis but it's made him a stronger person.

Ramona
          mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
          diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
          also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
          fused T4 to L1

Comment

Originally posted by ScolioDan View Post
            Hello,I do not post here too regularly because I find reading some of the things makes me particularly nervous about the surgery I am likely to have.
            I am aware that all backs and spines are different but I was hoping that some of you could tell me what your, or your childrens backs looked like before and after their surgery.
            I did kind of ask my surgeon but his answer really referred to what happens with the bone and didn't really give me an idea of what the cosmetic effects will be.
            Dan ... I know you've posted here before, and you're only 17/18 years old. Where are your parents in getting/explaining the details of your possible pre-surgical visits?

If they aren't available to you (for whatever reason), and you want help with what to ask (you still have SO little info), feel free to email me. There are some critical questions you need to ask ... and sorry, kiddo ... "How will I LOOK?" is way down on the list.

The answer to that is "Likely? Better.".

There are FAR more important queries.

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

We've seen the surgeon a few times but he is not really sure what type of operation he will do yet until he has seen a few more X Rays.

Comment

Working...
              X