First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post

I have been lurking around this site for about a year and a half. Had my first revision 15 years ago T4-L4. Now I know I have a disc herniation at L4-L5. I went a year and a half ago to see Dr. Lenke and he started talking a top to bottom revision I got this ringing in my ears and my husband said I just glazed over. All I remember is Dr. Lenke shaking my hand and telling me when I was ready to call him. Well, I did around christmas time and now I go see him on Feb 18. I have a question sheet this time but I could use a few prayers that I don't glaze over again. I know the curve had increased to around 90 degrees back then under the old fusion. I am afraid to know what damage I have done waiting so long, I am just tired of the pain.

Hi Daisy,
    I lurked here for a while too.
    I'll keep you in my prayers today as you see Dr Lenke. Just try to relax, its good that you're taking a list of questions ( I did too but my Dr answered most of mine before I could even ask). Remember today isn't the surgery and you don't even need to make a decision NOW, just get all the info you can to make an educated decision. Good luck
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Hi Daisy. I too have been reading the boards on and off for a few years. I have seen 3 doctors to date - all shocked that I haven't gone in for revision surgery yet. When I met with the first dr. he was ready to fuse me head to toe the next day. Talk about glaze! I think I stumbled to the parking lot. I got my wits about me, jotted down questions, and am now with a dr. I'm comfortable with. I go in to see him on Monday to schedule a date for revision...it took me almost 2 years to get the guts up (and to decide I've had enough pain). So, you are not alone in your glaze look...I just made sure to get more than one opinion so that I knew that what I was doing was agreed upon by more than one doc.

Best of luck!
      Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Sharshe ...

I just so GLAD to see you HEALTHY: You always were - and continue to be - an inspiration to many.

You'll never know how many people (who don't even) asked people (who did) to pray for you after surgery ... and the rest of us sent positive energy ;-).

Ecstatic you're "a happy girl" ... and hats off to Bud, too; it's been a long road!

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank YOU

Thank you all for your prayers, I got through the visit much better than the first time. The margaritta for lunch didn't hurt either lol. What he is planning on doing didn't sound as bad as the first time. Maybe because I was more prepared this time. It sounded very complicated to me but he swore it would only take 8 hours. My first surgery was 14 hours and I didn't have exsisting hardware then to get through. Things must have advanced alot in the past 15 years. I will be very happy to just wake up with the constant pain down my hip and leg to be gone. Can't hardly walk now. My surgery date is october 14, 2009. I was hoping for July or august because of how bad the pain is now. Thanks again. Anytime I get really down about the pain I come to this website and lurk around and eventually don't feel so alone and that makes me feel better.

Comment

Working...
          X