Problems from scoli vs. problems from surgery for scoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems from scoli vs. problems from surgery for scoli

I'm looking for the pros and cons of not having surgery vs. having surgery. It seems from reading this forum that there is a whole other set of problems after the surgery.

My problems/side effects of scoliosis (No surgery yet):
    rib hump
    uneven waist line
    lower left shoulder
    occasional muscle spasm and pinched nerve (with severe pain and difficulty walking and getting in and out of bed)
    pain when standing in one place too long
    pain when shopping
    pain when sitting on hard chairs, etc.
    pretty bad pain from ribs crushing pelvis after carrying heavy things (walking very slow and difficulty getting in and out of bed when this occurs)
    most recently my left hip feels as if it has a kink in it and when I lay down to sleep my breaths seem shorter.
    I'm sure there are more.

Thanks for the input!
    dd
    Last edited by ddr; 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM.
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Hi...

There are a few books that could be really helpful in making your decision. "Scoliosis Sourcebook" by Dr. Michael Neuwirth, and "Scoliosis Surgery The Definitive Patient Reference" by Dave Wolpert.

I think everyone has their own reasons why they do or don't have surgery. Here's my own personal opinion:

CONS:
    Significant post-operative pain (sometimes long-term), trading post-operative pain for pre-surgical pain
    Potential for need of additional surgery
    Long recovery time
    Risk of major complications
    Loss of flexibility
    Cost

PROS:
    Stops progression of curve
    Possible cosmetic improvement
    Possible pain improvement
    Potential to regain abilities

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

in my opinion...

DD-I made a list once, similar to yours--weighing out the pro's and con's....obviiously, you know the outcome based on my signature. Here is what made me decide to go forward w/the surgery:

pro-stops progression of the curve/correction of the curve is achieved/stopping progression now means betting quality of life later on, if curve was left to progress/may help stop pain associated with scoliosis/straightens out posture and also evens hips, shoulders & creates lost waistline in women(aka:cosmetic outcome)/you get to go shopping for new clothes after, as I do, becuz all of your pants that said they were low rise, at the time, fit near your waist & now that you have a waist, sit at your hips which mean you can no longer button yours pants! lol Sorry,, had to throw some humor in this....otherwise wouldnt be me! (true store tho, checked my pants/jeans out today and Im pretty much SOL-did someone say shopping?!?!)

cons-surgical pain which can last awhile/time off of work & social activities while you heal/if you have small children, unable to lift them up for a while/medical bills if ins doesnt cover you 100%/did I mention surgical pain?!?! ha ha ha

DD- this of course was my own opinion, but I wanted to share. Im 4 weeks post op and I will be honest, its been a tough ride, but with each day, I get better & gain more independance. I even took a shower all by myself today!!(big milestone) I look back at 2 weeks ago & Im amazed at how much more Im able to do. It takes time & sometimes it takes time to realize that. It final sank in to my brain very recently by the way. Good luck & you will def. get lots of info and insite here...the good & the bad. Take care! Lynn
      Last edited by LynnMarie74; 02-14-2009, 09:37 PM. Reason: wasnt done typing!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
      X