An Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Advice

Hi peoples on this site getting my brace tomorrow does anyone have any advice about bracing or anything else you thing i should know!!?????
    Last edited by starbinky; 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM.

lots of advice for you...

Okay since its your BIG DAY tomorrow, here's some friendly advice
    1. tomorrow is going to be painful, physically and emotionally. Don't freak out the first time your brace is put on. it HURTS - a lot. but your body adjusts. it may take awhile, but it becomes natural.
    2. wear sweats - you don't know how this brace is going to affect you and even if you don't have to wear it home, I had to take a walk around the hospital to get used to it before my xrays and that is NOT something you want to do in a hospital gown because you wore jeans that don't fit.
    3. Wear a sports bra, I cannot stress this enough. Xrays are embaressing enough without the added embaressment of going au natural. If you want to be even more covered under the gown, bring shorts with no metal in them.
    4. talk to your family. don't keep everything you are feeling inside. its hard enough without botteling it all up. yell and scream if that is what you need to do.
    5. follow the weaning schedule. it only gets better, but you have to follow the doctor's orders
    6. don't try to hide your brace from your parents and pretend that you are wearing it. its not worth it. just wear the brace so you don't have to have surgery.
    7. don't worry, this will all be over before you know it, trust me. the first few years for me went by EXTREMELY slowly. once it's done, you'll look back and laugh.
    8. shopping!! your clothes are not going to all fit the same way, or even at all in some cases. you are gonna need clothes that are durable (the brace can leave white marks on thin flimy tee shirts) and that aren't tight.
    9. tell your friends, scoliosis is hard enough without trying to hide a brace.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! Hope my advice helped and didn't scare you. its gonna be perfectly fine. PM me if you have any questions
    Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
    -Virgel

Comment

I'm getting a brace soon too!

I don't really have any advice but I feel your pain. What kind of brace are you getting? Talk to you soon!

Comment

Working...
      X