Real Pants?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Pants?!?

I had my 2nd (posterior) surgery on December 2nd..and I am pretty frustrated. I am up to walking 7 to 7 1/2 miles a day...still have to wear the nasty brace. (but I have clearance to walk 1 mile without it. lol) I can't wear regular pants still! It really bothers my back to put on jeans...i can't do it. Its something about the stiff waistband I think. To make matters worse, I've lost a size or two due to being stretched and the walking....so they bunch up even more (OR slide down) because of the brace. Even when not wearing the brace regular pants hurt.

How long did it take for everyone else to wear jeans? This was a problem before the surgery too....
    Cloth pants just arent that attractive for leaving the house.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

I had my posterior only surgery Oct 15th, and I didn't start wearing jeans until the last month. Before that it was just TOO uncomfortable. Prior to that I pretty much lived in yoga pants. I really didn't care--I even went to my doctors appointments in the city wearing them. I wore what felt good.

WOW about the walking 7 miles per day! It is warm and wonderfully spring-like here today, so my ipod and I walked 4.5 miles--I thought that was far

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

[QUOTE=fierceliketiger;71186]I had my 2nd (posterior) surgery on December 2nd..and I am pretty frustrated. I am up to walking 7 to 7 1/2 miles a day...still have to wear the nasty brace. (but I have clearance to walk 1 mile without it. lol) I can't wear regular pants still! It really bothers my back to put on jeans...i can't do it. Its something about the stiff waistband I think. To make matters worse, I've lost a size or two due to being stretched and the walking....so they bunch up even more (OR slide down) because of the brace. Even when not wearing the brace regular pants hurt.

How long did it take for everyone else to wear jeans? This was a problem before the surgery too....
      Cloth pants just arent that attractive for leaving the house. [/QU

What a problem to have-a smaller waste and jeans that are too big! LOL Ugghhhh! I need to stop reading your posts, really....

Feeling lots better than yesterday-thank God! My pain level later in the evening was almost like it was right after the surgury..I was so irratated. I took 2 Tylonol w/my one Hyrdo & I think that helped a little.

Speaking of walking & jeans that are too big, I decided to buy a treadmill. I CAN NOT take pacing my house anymore. Not only is it boring,but becuz it IS so boring, I stop too soon, which results in me not walking enough. My appetite is back and Im finding that Im eating like I used to which will result in me gaining weight...becuz Im not moving enough. lol (I complain alot, dont I?

Fierceliketiger...Im only teasing when I said I shouldnt read your posts. Im glad you are doing so good-really. It seems like we are all harder on ourselves than we should be. You are truly doing wonderfuly & your posts are actaully motivating. Yours too Debbe! Keep em comin' ladies & I will keep you posted on the treadmill & walking!!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn,

Check with your surgeon about the treadmill. My doc wouldn't allow it until after my 6 week checkup. Before that it was either walking outside or at the mall. I think they're afraid of us falling so soon, espeically still being on pain meds.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good point.....well, I will only set it up on the slowest speed. I have to do something. Seriously.....its bad. Im getting lazy. The mall thing isnt as easy as it sounds for me. I still hate getting in & out of a car at this point & going there every day wouldnt work. My aunt who helps me has a bad knee & she is also taking care of my 4 yr old....so they would be tagging along while I slowly hobble along. It just isnt convenient as a treadmill would be. I will call & see what they say tho!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn Marie,
            I paced the /hospital for about 3 weeks. I was pretty much terrified of the treadmill. It moved so much faster than I did! As for the treadmill vs outside...my surgeon said absolutely no walking outside. Granted, at the time we had TONS of snow and ice...still do, but its getting better. It really breaks my heart because we have a nice bike trail/walking path less than a half block from my house. But its still covered. He said the chances of me falling harder on ice were much greater than on a treadmill, but i have to keep both hands on the railings at all times.

Argh, all the things that my surgeon makes me do...lol. The worst is the protein drinks. YUCKO. Two a day, and they are supposed to help my bone growth and muscle re-growth, but nasty nasty nasty. The ensure ones are okay, as long as you stick with the chocolate, but they are expensive and calorie laden.

Feeling lots better than yesterday-thank God! My pain level later in the evening was almost like it was right after the surgury..I was so irratated. I took 2 Tylonol w/my one Hyrdo & I think that helped a little.
            I think EVERYONE had a horrible pain day yesterday! I didn't walk at all, I "granny shuffled" around the house. I took my hydromorphone instead of just the vicodin, and bawled about it too. It felt like I could feel every inch of the rods and every single screw. I still hurt today, but I'm getting by on vicodin. Haven't walked yet today either. But I will...maybe only a couple miles though. No marathons today.

Oh, and treadmills get really boring too. But park it in front of the tv or use a radio/ipod and it gets better. I've caught up on a lot of movies. Actually, disney/pixar type movies are the best I've found for treadmilling. The music they have is much better for pace and keeping your heartrate up.
            25 years old
            double 70+ degree curves before surgery
            Anterior on 11/11/08
            Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
            nearly perfect correction
            fused t-10 to pelvis
            with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
            Broke left rod on 10/24/09
            Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
            Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
            Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
            X