update on Avis (theissard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on Avis (theissard)

I received an email from Avis's husband Howard from about 3:30 this afternoon. He said Avis was in surgery and about halfway through. Hopefully I will hear from him again once she is in recovery. He seemed happy with Dr Rand's reputation at the Baptist since everyone told him that Dr. Rand was (The Man). The nurse liaison told him she would take him into the recovery room once she was awake. So once I hear more from Howard, I will keep you all up to date.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
    I received an email from Avis's husband Howard from about 3:30 this afternoon. He said Avis was in surgery and about halfway through. Hopefully I will hear from him again once she is in recovery. He seemed happy with Dr Rand's reputation at the Baptist since everyone told him that Dr. Rand was (The Man). The nurse liaison told him she would take him into the recovery room once she was awake. So once I hear more from Howard, I will keep you all up to date.

Sally
    Thanks for the update Sally. Avis is in my thoughts and prayers!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yes, thanks Sally. It will be good to hear the news. Glad all was going ok so far.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the update on Avis. I was just thinking about how long the surgical days are for patient families and Dr. Rand. That was the easy part for us as patients. I told Avis I would bring her a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee when she gets to Coolidge House. I still remember how much I craved a decent cup of coffee!

Linda
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Thanks for the update, I'd been wondering how Avis is. Fingers crossed for the success of her operation and a smooth recovery.

We are headed for burned-out Victoria (primarily to visit Alan's 86 y.o. Mum) but also to visit my daughter in Melbourne, leaving tomorrow, so won't be online much for 2 weeks but I'll be thinking of Avis and wanting to catch up with her news asap.

Fingers crossed for good news. I wonder how she was, going in?
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi,

I just heard from Avis's husband Howard and he said that the posterior surgery went very well. So well, in fact, that Part 2 of her surgery in a couple of weeks, Dr. Rand said he will be able to finish up posteriorly and not have to go in from the front. Avis did end up with an abrasion on her cornea and is being treated for that by an Opthomologist. She is being moved from the ICU to a regular room this evening. So far, so good. We will just keep the prayers and good wishes coming for her recovery.

Love, Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks Sally. I'm glad the surgery went well. Bummer about the cornea, I hope that gets better quickly.

Comment

Hi all,

Here is a copy of an email from Howard. I finally figured out I could copy and paste. Sally
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Hello friends,

Each day is getting better and Avis is well on the way
                to putting this all behind her. She had physical therapy
                three times today which included several walks.
                During her last walk tonight I actually noticed a
                difference in her posture. She is no longer leaning
                forward when she walks. I saw Avis standing straight
                tonight and it's been quite some time since I've seen that.

Pain level is still a six but that's to be expected.
                Her eye is better today too and she is eating well.
                The Doctor's are doing a good job in regards to pain
                management and they actually want to help Avis stay
                ahead of the pain. This is such an important aspect of this
                surgery. This is not to say that she is anywhere
                near pain free, far from it. One day at a time ...

I forget if I mentioned her room number. It's 537 for
                those of you who asked.

She is on schedule to move over to the rehab unit
                this weekend, probably on Saturday. That will also be
                my last day here. I leave Boston at 3:00 Saturday
                afternoon and had hoped I would be here for the
                move. It's too early yet to know for sure.

Part two is on schedule for Friday 2/27.
                Since I have to go back to work this will
                work out good being the weekend I will be able to travel back
                and be there when she comes out of recovery.
                I also plan to return when this is all over so we
                can travel home together. If I can swing it I may return
                to Boston next weekend.

All in all I think she is doing better than expected this soon.
                More tomorrow.

Howard

Comment

... wonderful news about Avis....Glad to hear she is doing so well....hope she continues to stay strong!
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                  At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                  At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                  Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital
                  **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi all,

Here is an update on Avis from Howard.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Or is it day five? Crap I forget. Travel Monday,
                    surgery Tuesday, wednesdaythrursdayfriday ... Well lets call it day four. What started out as a good day, a very good day turned worrisome for an hour or so but I think it's now under control. Nothing to do with the operation or how Avis feels. It's about the length of stay allowed by the rehab or more precisely, the insurance company. We had planned for Avis to stay in the rehab once she is released which by the way is now tomorrow, until stage two of the surgery set for Friday 2/27. Well now it seams as though that is too much time and she will have to go home and return for the second part.
                    WTF!!

It's a long story but we both made it clear how unbelievably hard that would be on both of us and we were told two things. First of all, while in the rehab show very little progress. In other words play the system and take a long time to improve. It's BS but if that's what it takes so be it. Do I really care about anything else but Avis at this point? Secondly, the psychologist on Dr. Rand's team that gave us this information said he would make sure that Dr. Rand understood how important it would be to move the date up. This guy is
                    good and not only does he know that Avis is working on her PHD in his field he is also very fond of Volkswagens. His wife drives a VW Passat and his father was an automobile mechanic. He had as many or maybe more conversations with me as he did with Avis.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because he clearly likes both of us. He is good friends with Avis's surgeon, the two couples are going out to dinner together tomorrow night and he said he would try to help us even if he had
                    to bring it up at dinner. Wow, how cool is that? In light of what happened next I probably could have left that part out but I thought it was good stuff.

Anyway Dr. Rand was in to see Avis an hour or so afterward and I brought it up to him. He was not yet aware of the situation however he made a face and said don't worry about it. "I'll just have to change my schedule and
                    move her up" he said. "You can't go back to Philadelphia, turn around and
                    come back for more surgery". This guy is the real deal. He gave me a few names I should know at the rehab unit, friends of his AND he gave me his
                    cell phone number "just in case". I think we really picked the right Doctor this time. Not only is he one of the best in his field but he is a really nice human
                    being too.

So, here's the latest of what I can tell you. Tomorrow (Sat) Avis leaves the hospital to go to rehab at 1:00 PM and I leave to go home. Hopefully her stay will now only be a few days. Stage two may now be as early as Wednesday or Friday at the latest, we hope. She may now becoming home way ahead of schedule around 2/27, the day part two was scheduled to take place. Avis may now get to see the cat's 7-10 days sooner than we thought which is really all that matters.

This may all work out for the better after all. Both Avis and the Doctor think she is ready to have the surgery tomorrow if she had to. The truth is
                    she is very strong and has made a tremendous amount of improvement in just a short period of time. She's still in pain but who wouldn't be?
                    I hope to know more details by tomorrow, if not by Monday for sure.
                    Some have asked for the hospital and rehab address's so here they are:

New England Baptist Hospital
                    125 Parker Avenue
                    Boston, MA 02120
                    (617) 754 5214
                    www.nebh.org
                    Coolidge House
                    30 Webster Street
                    Brookline, MA 02446
                    (617) 734 2300
                    www.genesishcc.com
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sally

Comment

wow..what a mess that could have been...Im glad everything worked itself out! Im so happy that she is doing well. Wish her good luck in rehab & also on the upcoming surgery. Take care...
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Visited with Avis today

I popped into Coolidge House Rehab and visited with Avis today. We found we had lots in common and our time together passed quickly. It is always special to actually meet someone from the Forum. She looks great and seems strong and well prepared (mentally and physically) for Stage 2 tomorrow. Fortunately, she was recently transferred to the appropriate floor at Coolidge House and is now receiving better care. Sadly, the food is bad regardless of the floor! Hopefully, she will return to the correct floor at Coolidge House after Stage 2 and rehab quickly so she can return to PA and her cats who miss her.

Her positive attitude and Dr. Rand's skill will serve her well tomorrow. Way to go Avis!

Linda W.
                        Linda
                        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Although I haven't posted yet here, I am glad that Avis is doing well.

Please tell her and Howard that we are thinking of them!

Marian

Comment

Linda,

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad Avis is doing well and in good spirits, and I'm looking forward to a wonderful update after tomorrow's surgery.

Comment

Fabulous news on Avis!
                              Lynn -30.... something
                              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Working...
                              X