No announcement yet.

recovery question...please respond!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovery question...please respond!!!!!

I have surgery April 15. My husband is in the Coast Guard and just got orders to be stationed on a ship that will be go 2 months at a time. He probably wouldn't have to report in until end of August or September. Let's say surgery goes great and I heal without any problems. For those of you who have had surgery were you cleared at 6 months to lift at least 30pounds? I ask this because I have a 1 year old to take care of. I have suggested that maybe I put off surgery and continue with the chiropractor. My husband say no way that I have waited long enough. We will have family help....possibily can even hire help if needed, although I would rather not. Please let me know for those of you who have children when you were cleared to start lifting them. Thank you so much!!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hi Susan,

I am almost 4 months out, and I know that at this point, 30 lbs is way too much for me. Hold old is the child though? My thought is that although toddlers would LIKE to be lifed much of the time, there are many things that they can do on their own with assistance. There are 18 months between my first two children, and towards the later stages of pregnancy, there was no way I could lift a 30+ pound boy--and he was definitely over 30 lbs. We managed just fine.

I can't help you our any more as my children are now older and too big for lifting.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbie,

Right now my son is 1 and weighs about 21 pounds. I'm sure he won't hit the thirty pound mark even 8 months from now. It's hard to say I guess.

Susan
      Susan

Comment

Susan,

I would say that you need help then, for at least a few months. I think that now, I could lift 20 lbs, but it's something I avoid because it's just not comfortable yet.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi...

Yikes! I'm actually surprised that your surgeon is willing to do surgery with a 1 yo at home. I think most surgeons would tell you that you won't be able to lift your son for at least 6 mos. If I were you, I'd consider waiting a few years if you can.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Susan,

Waiting a few years probably isn't an option if you are in a lot of pain. You will not be lifting a toddler for 9-12 months post-op. Your Dr. won't clear you to lift certain lbs. till specific recovery periods. I think as long as you have help till 9 months then make sure you work WITH with your son to get him in/out and up/down daily activities you should be O.K. If you lift too much too soon you will pull back muscles and be out of commission for awhile, trust me I know this from experience! I did it 3 times before I learned I am no longer the power lifter/mover I use to be. I remember being disappointed how slowly my weight restrictions were lifted... I need to go back and read my 3, 6, 9, and 12 month recovery posts to remember.

Best wishes.

P.S. Curiosity got the best of me I had to go look up my weight restrictions. 4lbs @ 8weeks
            10lbs @ 3 mos.
            20lbs @ 6 mos.
            9 months proceed with caution.
            Last edited by Suzy; 02-13-2009, 01:24 AM. Reason: Research.

Comment

I have received a called from the doc and he feels by six months I will be able start lifting the baby. He said patients that he has had who are of the same age and physical shape it should be ok. I also will be hiring help so it will really be as needed. I know that doesn't seem to jive with what others have said regarding their recuperation.

Also, as far as my husband's job, we have made a little head way, the Coast Guard is going to look at other jobs that may be available that will accommodate our situation with this surgery.....I guess we will go from there. From what everyone else has said I can't imagine lifting the baby at six months. If luck is on my side this one time I won't have anything to worry about......trying to be positive and not get to worked up until I have too!
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X