Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the worst/funniest things that have happened to you because of scoli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the worst/funniest things that have happened to you because of scoli?

What are the things that have happened to you that you think were because of the scolilosis? and what did you do? This can be something physical, or serious, embarrassing, or funny or whatever comes to mind.

-----------------------------------
    For me it was a muscle spasm that pinched a nerve in my back. It took months and two doctors to figure out I need a muscle relaxant. It was almost immediate relief after that.

I first time I got on a treadmill at a gym, I had trouble with my balance and almost fell. I figured it out quickly and saved face.
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

One of the more depressing was a symmetrical alteration on a great evening gown ...

I found an absolutely *gorgeous* Anne Klein crimson silk, bias cut gown, with tags (retailed for over $300, and I got it for a steal at $22!) in my favorite resale shop. It just needed to be altered down a size. Easy, right?

The tailor pinned it on me, and it was *perfect*.

When I went to pick it up, however, disaster. The seamstress must have taken one look at how crooked the pinning was at that point, and "did me the favor" of making it even. The symmetrical result, of course, didn't fit my non-symmetrical body at all.

Although I eBayed it for the cost of the gown and (mis)alterations, and at least I could say it was a "professionally altered size ____", I was SO bummed .
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

That was funny. Thanks for the laugh!
      dd
      dd
      57 yr. old female
      Pembroke Pines, FL
      2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

Mine is similar to Pam's. About 6 years ago my only sister got married and I was matron of honor. She picked a two-piece dress from David's Bridal for all the bridesmaids. I had them do my alterations, and when I went to try it on I cried hysterically. The top fit HORRIBLE and it was less than a week before the wedding. They couldn't fix it in time.

I rushed it over to a nice little chinese lady seamstress at a local cleaners and she said don't worry, I'll make you look good. She did a fantastic job, even sewing in bands to hook around my brastraps, which ALWAYS seemed to stick out of my clothes. I could have kissed that woman and I didn't feel like a freak in front of my whole family.

You'd think that would have been a clue to me that I was getting much worse....but I guess I had my head stuck in the sand.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          ... She did a fantastic job, even sewing in bands to hook around my brastraps, which ALWAYS seemed to stick out of my clothes. ...
          LMAO at thinking back to bra straps, Debbe ... a perpetually drooping right one was the reason I switched to a racer back style years ago.

For anyone who's pre-op - or trying to avoid surgery (and a bra strap that refuses to stay up) - they're the ONLY way to go as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

When a teacher asked my daughter about a response to a question, she said "Sir Francis told me to say it." The teacher asked who Sir Francis was and she said the dead person in her back (her donor bone). Her teacher knew she had had scoliosis surgery.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I was on an equine drill team that I loved. During practices, my husband would tell me sit straight and I would tell him I was. Also, I had to adjust 1 stirrup a notch shorter on one side. Like Debbie, this should have given me a clue how much worse I was getting but I just kept trying to "sit up straighter"! Now he says my head is in the way when he is driving and has to look my way at a corner- says he could always see over my head before. We laugh at that one and realize how much straighter I am now!!
              Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
              Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
              Age 54
              T10 to Sacrum
              Curve 65 degrees
              Very straight now!!!

Comment

Well back in grades 1-3 if I went to teh bathroom, I would have to go back to class with my pants undone because I could not button it up at all. The brace was very unforgiving. So I would stand in front of the class and the teacher would button my pants.

Of course that could never happen today, but this was 30-odd years ago.

Brad
                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                Still have 57 degree curve
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                Preop xray (with brace on)
                Postop xray

Comment

I thought of another one. When I was in eight grade I went to work in my aunt's restaurant one summer. This was before my problem had a name. My left shoulder was always drooping. One of the waitress' had a real problem with that. Anytime she would see me walking she would yell across the restaurant "LEFT UP" "LEFT UP" to remind me to lift up my left shoulder. It was very annoying and embarassing but I know she meant well.
                  dd
                  dd
                  57 yr. old female
                  Pembroke Pines, FL

Comment

I remember another one too. When I got my lovely Milwalkee Brace, it was so tight on my middle that I used to faint once in a while, or get darn close to it. If I felt light headed at school, I'd have to go to the nurse's office to lay down. I felt like such a freak!

On the other hand, that torture device kept me very slim because I couldn't eat much at one time. My mother used to say I ate like a bird 7 or 8 times a day. LMAO. Looking back at it, it was probably a very healthy way to eat.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

bra straps falling

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                      LMAO at thinking back to bra straps, Debbe ... a perpetually drooping right one was the reason I switched to a racer back style years ago.

For anyone who's pre-op - or trying to avoid surgery (and a bra strap that refuses to stay up) - they're the ONLY way to go as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

Pam
                      Oh My God the whole bra strap things drives me insane and I don't carry a pocket book! It always falls off! Your right TX.....that should have clued me in things were getting out of control.....ahhh hind sight is 20/20 isn't it. April 15 here I come

Susan
                      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Worst Thing

Well the worst thing that has happen to me so far is that I have to get a brace.

Comment

You probably all have the same conversation when you go for XRays....
                          technician.."stand straight please", me..."I am standing straight, I have scoliosis"....tech.."oh OK but can you stand straighter?" aaghhh!
                          And the "best" one is when they start pushing my protruding hip to "straighten" me!
                          I also have the clothes issue but unlike most of you my scoli is lumbar as opposed to mainly thoracic so nothing hangs properly as my waist is at 2 different levels and everything rises on my right side. Fun isn't it!

Comment

OH YA! Have to love those tech's that ask you to stand straight! Idiots! If I could I would have done it a long time ago, but thanks for the suggestion right! I to, like yourself have a lumbar curve (50*) and also am shifted 5 centimeters to the left. I am ALWAYS tugging on my pants and have never worn skirts. Skirts just don't look right. I can remember when I was young my mother would always complain about it...until we knew why. I am going in for surgery April 15, not looking forward to it....as is anyone would be....but I will be happy to have my clothes fit correctly and stay where they were meant to be! Take care!
                            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=ddr;71116]What are the things that have happened to you that you think were because of the scolilosis? and what did you do? This can be something physical, or serious, embarrassing, or funny or whatever comes to mind.

-----------------------------------
                              OMG, this question has taken me places in my memory bank that I haven't been in years! Lots of "feeling less than perfect" memories, but a ton more humorous memories (to wash away the yucky feelings of the first batch). Like a lot of other posts I've been reading, strange things seem to happen at the doctors office, or somehow related to the medical profession. A couple years ago during a bone density test, the technician was completely perplexed at not being able to get my entire spine to show up on the dexa-scan table's very narrow field of vision. Most all of us on this forum know that doesn't even come close to allowing for our particular brand of curves. Seeing as how my spine wouldn't fit into the space allowed, the tech kept sliding me this way at the bottom, and that way at the top to try to line me up. Just when he thought that he had the bottom half in place, the top half would go out of vision. Poor sop was bound and determined to get all of my S-curved spine to show up on the scan! It wasn't funny at the time, (I remember how hard the table was and thinking that I just wanted it over with). But now I can't help but laugh at his vain attempts. And then there's the higher shoulder thing. When I was younger, I learned to love asymetrical blouses/shirts. A sleeveless blouse with the lower shoulder bare, (nothing to droop down or fall off...yippee!) and the higher shoulder with the strap or sleeve. Alas, it has been years since I have been "bare shoulder worthy", but they were great memories none the less....(sigh)

Comment

Working...
                              X