PDA

View Full Version : steri-strips....when do they come off???

LynnMarie74
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Im almost 4 weeks post op & almost all of my strips are still on. There are some that are loosing up, but for the most part, they are still intact. Am I supposed to take them off at this point or leave them? I cant imagine having to pull them off as my back is superduper overly sensitive, and Paul did take one off last week while I was in the shower & it really felt like he ripped layers of skin from my back..it was horrible!! What did everyone do?

Geish
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
My surgeon removed the loose ones at my 2 week check up. My daughters had been putting alcohol on them as instructed by the home health nurse. As they loosened up they removed them. I was allergic to the glue on the steri- strips and the nurse brought an adhesive remover from the hospital to remove all of the glue so the rash would go away.

Snoopy
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
My daughter's were on for about 7 weeks. At that point, I told her I had to remove them or a nurse would at her check-up. She chose me. Carmell has mentioned sometime ago a cream that you can put on the steri-strips (sorry I don't remember what it was) before bed and the strips come off easily the next morning. I ended up using a spray bottle of water to soak the strips and they came off easily.

Mary Lou

LynnMarie74
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
My surgeon removed the loose ones at my 2 week check up. My daughters had been putting alcohol on them as instructed by the home health nurse. As they loosened up they removed them. I was allergic to the glue on the steri- strips and the nurse brought an adhesive remover from the hospital to remove all of the glue so the rash would go away.

2 week check up? Wow! I dont have my 1st post op check-up til March 5th...which is 7 weeks post op. I sure hope mine are off by then, cuz like I said I will not let anyone take them off....it hurts way too bad. I sure hope this super sensitivity over my entire back goes away! I cant imagine never having it be normal again....ughh.....

PNUTTRO
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Im almost 4 weeks post op & almost all of my strips are still on. . . What did everyone do?

You can use some alcohol based hand cleaner--the foaming kind. It will loosen the adhesive, but if you get it directly on your scabs, it may burn a little.

p

LynnMarie74
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
My daughter's were on for about 7 weeks. At that point, I told her I had to remove them or a nurse would at her check-up. She chose me. Carmell has mentioned sometime ago a cream that you can put on the steri-strips (sorry I don't remember what it was) before bed and the strips come off easily the next morning. I ended up using a spray bottle of water to soak the strips and they came off easily.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou--you would think the showers would help loosen the glue. Im pretty sure my surgeon will want to see underneath & will take them off for me...but its just to painful to do it at this point. I will google the creme you are talking about....thanks.

fierceliketiger
02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I had mine for about 6 weeks. Right before my 6 week appointment they all fell off within a few days. If yours are loosening up they should come off soon.

debbei
02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Like Geish, mine were taken off at my 2 week checkup, when they took out my 2 external stitches.

LynnMarie74
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I see.....I guess I will just wait it out then. Maybe try the alcohol thing right before my appointment. Thanks everyone!

WNCmom
02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Most of my son's steri-strips were still stubbornly attached when we went to his 6-week checkup. The nurse removed them then. I don't remember it being a big deal or painful for him.

Susie*Bee
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I was told that they would just fall off eventually and not to worry about them. The stragglers that held on longer were removed at my first appointment. You might want to check with your surgeon, as sometimes they don't want you fiddling with them before it's time for them to come off...

Snoopy
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Mary Lou--you would think the showers would help loosen the glue. Im pretty sure my surgeon will want to see underneath & will take them off for me...but its just to painful to do it at this point. I will google the creme you are talking about....thanks.

Lynn,

Yeah, you'd think the shower would help, but Jamie wasn't excited about getting her back wet, so I always gently washed her back outside of the shower.

I did a search and found Carmell's recommendation. She suggested using either Bacitracin or Neosporin on the steri-strips. She said they loosen the glue and by putting it on before bed, they will sometimes fall off by morning. You might need to repeat the process a few times.

Mary Lou

Singer
02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I never touched mine and I think most of them came off by 8 or 9 weeks. You definitely don't want to pick at them and/or irritate the scar.