Scoliosis vs. Osteoperosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis vs. Osteoperosis

I have recently been informed that my scoliosis is a factor in treating my osteoperosis. I am tryiing to find out information on what the connection is. I do not absorb calcium, therefore any supplements I take does not make a difference.

Does anyone have any information on this issue?
    Eileen

Eileen,
    I don't understand what Scoli has to do with your Osteoporosis!? Are you sure your doc didn't say Osteoarthritis?
    SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

Hi Eileen...

I believe that the connection is MOSTLY that severe osteoporosis can cause scoliosis. However, SOME studies have shown that women with scoliosis have a higher likelihood of osteoporosis. It seems to me that that COULD be that people with scoliosis are less active than those without. Anyway, here's the abstract of one study:

Scoliosis in elderly and age-related bone loss: a population-based study.

Jaovisidha S, Kim JK, Sartoris DJ, Bosch E, Edelstein S, Barrett-Connor E, Rojanaplakorn P.

Department of Radiology, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA; and Department of Radiology, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Osteoporosis, a common metabolic condition resulting in reduced bone mass, causes significant morbidity in affected individuals by predisposing them to osteoporotic fractures. To determine the relationship of scoliosis and osteoporosis, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scans of 493 men and 762 women were analyzed according to their scoliotic status. No association was observed in the few scoliotic men without osteoarthritis of the spine compared to nonscoliotic men. Without osteoarthritis, scoliotic women had significantly decreased bone mass of the total hip and the femoral neck (p < 0.05) compared to nonscoliotic women, whereas in spine, bone mass was also decreased compared to nonscoliotic women, but not statistically significant. This suggests that scoliosis associates with bone loss, and affected women may benefit from early institution of therapeutic measures.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Response to reply

Thank you for your input. There is information about how we produce calcium and when we have scoliosis we can release calcium rather than absorb it. It appears that is what my body is doing.

I agree with the article that women with scoliosis may have a greater dispositon to developing osteoperosis.

I am trying to become as informed as possible about my conditions so that I can make informed decisions on my treatments.

Eileen
        Eileen

Comment

calcium/malabsorption

Sometimes calcium can come out of the bones when the parathyroid gland malfunctions, weakening them.

In this case the blood calcium levels are too high. This should be checked out by an endicrinologist.
          Karen
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I actually have high prolactin levels and have had an endocronolgist follow me for that condition. We have not been able to locate a tumor. They have never picked up on a connection to my calcium issue or mentioned this as a possible link. My thyroid levels have all come back normal. My chiropractor thinks my scoliosis may have something to do with the high endocrin levels. My spine may have shifted and is now affecting the thyroid glad that produces prolactin.

My problem is that there are so many things going on with my body that trying to piece together the puzzle is very difficult. But, I am ruling things out one at a time and hopefully at some point will figure it all out!

Eileen
            Eileen

Comment

Working...
            X