second opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second opinion

I had surgery 6/26, 6/27 and 7/3/07 and I still have lower back pain and leg pain. My dr wants to remove the pedicle screws in L-4 and L-5, But not for a few years. In the meantime, he wants me to get epidural injections to ease the pain. Has anyone ever gone for a 2nd opinion post-op? I like my dr, but family and friends say I should go for another opinion. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Maria

Hi Maria...

You're in a difficult position. I know that you want to believe in your surgeon. And, he could very well be giving you sound advice. If you get a second opinion, and it doesn't agree with your current surgeon's opinion, what will you do? How will you know whether your current surgeon, or the new one is correct?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep this in mind. I don't need to be more confused than I already am. I will probably stay with my dr and trust his advice.

Thanks again
      Maria

Comment

Maria,

I am so sorry that you are still having problems.

I don't see what harm a 2nd opinion could do. If the other doctor agrees with the advice you already have, it will reassure you that you are doing the right thing.

Good luck to you,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

There's no harm in getting someone else to look at the problem from a new angle. You may have a great doctor, but what's wrong with having two great doctors?

Comment

Went for my second opinion today and I got just about the same advice as my surgeon told me, but he thinks I should remove my broken screw first to see if I get any pain relief. If the pain is still there, then I would have to remove the screws in L-4 and L-5.
            I'm glad that I went for another opinion and it reassures me that I may need to get these screws removed in a few years.

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by RiRi View Post
              Went for my second opinion today and I got just about the same advice as my surgeon told me, but he thinks I should remove my broken screw first to see if I get any pain relief. If the pain is still there, then I would have to remove the screws in L-4 and L-5.
              I'm glad that I went for another opinion and it reassures me that I may need to get these screws removed in a few years.

Maria
              I"m so glad the advice was the same Maria. Don't you feel a sense of relief knowing that two really good doctors have the same opinion? How long did #2 doctor say you should wait?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
              X