weird sensations....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird sensations....

Im going to assume this is normal.....3 weeks post op.....I had from the day after sugery a weird tingly almost a numness in my butt & thigh area. As of today its moved its way up my entire back...which is good & bad. Its good cuz Im noticing this more(as its very odd) than the pain. HOwever, its almost like its over sensitive. When I lay down to rest or nap, if my top is twisted at all, even just a little bit, it hurts like hell!! So the sheets and my top have to be perfectly straight otherwise LOOK OUT! Like I said its really odd. OH! And its more promanate(sp?) on my right side. Its very strange....anyone having/had this as well?
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Hi...

It's pretty common to have numbness, tingling, and sensitivity in various areas after surgery. I think it's usually nothing to worry about.

On and off since my surgery (15 years ago!), I have extreme sensitivity in my left shoulder blade. Like you, if the sheet has a fold in it during sensitive periods, I can barely stand it. Other times, I could lay on a rock and never notice it. Bizarre!

Good luck with your recovery. I can tell you from first hand experience that you'll have a myriad of symptoms over the next few months. Try not to be too alarmed.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, I have the same type of thing, but on my right side. It only happens occasionally. I am 25 years post op.
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Lynn,

The others are right--your symptoms will change over the next few months. For the first month or so, my numbness/tingling drove me nuts, and then it gradually got much better, to be replaced by pinches that feel like bee stings. But these pinches are not constant. Right after surgery, my whole lower back, butt and legs (front and back) about halfway down my thigh were numb/tingly. Slowly that line moved up my back, and now it's just part of my lower back.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but these strange feelings will get better. Remember, you're only a few weeks! Also, about the car rides, they slowly got better too, including ease (or not ) of getting in and out of the car.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynn,

Since I haven't had my surgery yet I can't relate to what your going through but I would think that you may experience something new on any given day. I hope it resolves soon! Just a thought...would ice packs help? Sometime the simplest things can help the most.
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I think I had every sensation known to man for months and months post-op. The most bizarre was the feeling of an electric current jolting up the entire length of my long anterior incision whenever I first lay down...it started around 3 months post-op and lasted for around a month. Chalk it up to nerves, muscle, and tissue trying to heal.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
            X