Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior(side)

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have had the anterior(through the side of the rib cage) and than the posterior done? I am just wondering what to expect as far as how your ribs feel post-op. I know it's done lapro but do they actually spread the rib cage? It's the one darn question I forgot to ask the doc. Let me know if anyone can! Thank you

Susan
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Susan, I don't think they spread the rib cage, but they do have to deflate the lung on that side. That caused some burning pain and aches for me afterwards, and it's really important to use your spirometer during recovery to help with the lung function. I have five incisions about inch-and-half to 2 inches long, one right under the other between the ribs. The lapro is so much better than the big curving incision that used to be done!! Good luck

Comment

JoAnn,

Thanks...I think I told my husband that maybe somethings are good NOT to know lol. I still have one more appt. with my doc so I guess we'll get more into detail. I will try not to focus on it to much in the mean time. Take care

Susan
      Susan

Comment

Anterior/Posterior Surgery

Susan:

I had anterior/posterior surgery over a period of 2 days (Nov 5 and Nov 7, 2007). The scars on my left side have faded a lot, and the one down my back is actually not that bad looking - at least, not like I imagined it would be. I have noticed that the bottom of my left foot is still very tingly from nerve pain, and the bottom of my left hip really starts to ache when I walk. My recuperation is going much too slowly for my liking, but there's nothing I can do about it. I have to wear this God-awful board-like brace for another 3 months, and that's been a real bummer. Good luck on your surgery and recovery. Remember: PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. That's the best advice I can give you!

Comment

Wascaly,

Sorry to hear your recovery is going slow. I would imagine you hit highs and lows. I have spent the past five years in pain and am ready to take the plunge. As much as i have read from all the posts here, I am trying not to have any expectations that may set me up for frustrations. I will have my husband and parents and mother in law and the rest of the family to help and they are all so stubborn I'm sure I will not get away with trying to do anything for a while. I'll enjoy it while it lasts! Except the bathroom. As I have posted before.... I will pass out and fall off the toilet before I let someone help and that is just that lol. I hope your recovery picks it's pace up a little bit. From what I hear everyone is different on how fast it goes. One thing I know is that you need to listen to your body. It will tell you what you need Take care and keep us posted as to how you are feeling. I enjoy all the info I can get before I go under the knife...such a pleasant thought....
          Last edited by asccbodypro; 02-03-2009, 10:50 AM.
          Susan

Comment

JoAnn,

I emailed my doc today and asked if my lung would be deflated and he said no. Ya for me.....of course the answer did come with the "there is always the possibility of a peunmothorac(spelling?)." I am sure deflating the lung is never an issue it just scared the hell out of me for some reason.
            Susan

Comment

Susan

I have to laugh about what you said about the bathroom. At about 8 days post op I was still in the hospital barely moving and a nurse got me into the bathroom and had to leave for a minute, when I finished she was not back yet and I called my daughter in to help me...which she said "no way" so I told her to call the nurse and her friend who was also visiting me said she would come in to help me...at that point I did not care who wiped me I just wanted to go back to bed. My point is all "Pride" goes right out ther window with this surgery.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and a great recovery.
              Patty 51 years old
              Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
              Posterior T3- L4
              Pre surgery curves
              T-53degrees
              L-38degrees
              and a severe side shift to the right.
              Post surgery curves
              Less than 10 degrees
              Surgery April, 2006
              C4 - C6

Comment

Okay, good. From the posts it seems that the surgery has changed from when I had it in 1987. I had anterior/posterior a week apart, for a total of 2 weeks in the hospital. The effects from the anterior surgery have been the problem. For access, the doctor removed a rib, and then used pieces of it for the fusion. The missing rib makes for an uneven surface on my back. When I sit on most hard-backed chairs, the two ribs by the missing one take the pressure and it's uncomfortable. Also, that side rib cage was sore for many years, and is even now still a little sensitive. I'm glad that you'll have newer surgical techniques that should eliminate these problems. And please understand that nothing I have experienced made me wish I hadn't had the surgery! I am very thankful to have had it, and to have had so few problems.

Comment

I'm sorry i frightened you. That's just what happened to me and it really wasn't that bad. I'm zipping my lips (or fingers...lol) from now on. Everyone is different. When you get to the 'other side' of your surgery, it will be worth it!

Comment

JoAnn,

It's OK It's good to hear from everyone what they have gone through the good the bad and the ugly....it keeps us on our toes
                    Susan

Comment

Its really hard not to constantly think about it

I am scheduled for April 15th and it's really hard not to constantly think about it!

Comment

Originally posted by NotReadyYet View Post
                        I am scheduled for April 15th and it's really hard not to constantly think about it!
                        Me too! I do feel better now than the afternoon I went in for my appointment. I literally was sick to my stomach for a few days. Right now I am trying to focus on eating great and getting in my cardio/weight training/chiropractic care as much as possible. My husband and I decided we would take the kids on a mini vacation before the surgery and just spend sometime focusing just on them and having fun together. Of course hockey always keeps much of our time occupied!
                        Susan

Comment

Working...
                        X