Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wanted to Brag...lol....I mean share good news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to Brag...lol....I mean share good news!

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. As of today Im 2 weeks and one day post op & feeling good.Dont getme wrong, Im still in pain, but its much more tolerable that even just a few days ago. For the past few days I am even able to ahh....wipe after "1" and "2" on my own. I have a trick....I make sure the toilet paper is hanging down a bit, then I just have to reach out a little to the left ,grab the paper and whaammoo, there is it! And reacing "back there" at first was a little shakey, but after the 2nd try I got it! I was a Kodak moment! LOL Grossss...kidding of course. Last night I took a shower AND I WASHED MY OWN HAIR!! Whhoooaa!! LOL I am also able to walk a short distance w/out my walker which freeks everyone out....which makes me giggle inside...lol...but I can do it. If I didnt think I couldnt, I wouldnt!! I also was able to goto the freezer, grab the box of frozen waffles and make my 4 year old his breakfast! Of course my aunt Sue was there watching me....I make her nervous too! Speaking of Aunt Sue...I have a lot of help love & support from my family & my friends. Aunt Sue comes over almost everyday to help me out & watch my 4 year old. My Mom comes over alot too & is always asks if I need anything.....she's the best..and all of my friends stop over & visit & keep me company and also bring us food! My cousin makes a mean home made mac & cheese by the way!! Now Im babbling,sorry! Either way, I just wanted to say that Im doing OK...having those ups and downs still, but not quite as often! (the downs) For those who are now counting down to the "big day", my only advice is just know you will be OK & that you will adjust & remember,if you are a "I need it now" kind of person, ya better start on a new way of thinking. Thanks for letting me talk...I think its nap time now.

ps- Just watched a HILARIOUS movie(stayed awake too!) Step Brothers..Oh My God I laughed soooo hard and it hurt like hell! Sooo, to those who wanna see this movie do it before your surgury!! LOL

Take Care! Lynn
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Thanks Lynn! It really is good to hear you able to do so many things only 2 weeks post-op! I never would have thought washing your hair was possible just yet. You give me hope!

Keep up the great progress, but please don't over-do it!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good for you Lynn!! I think it was much longer before I could do that! LOL of course I had my tool that I relied on.

Keep up the good work,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good job Lynn! No one quite understands how big those little victories are until you go through it yourself! Keep up the good attitude. You're doing great!

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Lynn,

Yaaaa for you You are doing wonderful. I can only hope I can wash my own hair.....it's long, thick and curly. I reaalllyy don't want to have my husband do it! Something tells me though the first couple of times he might have to. That's what he gets for wanting me to keep it long lol. I refuse bathroom help though! I don't care if I pass out from sitting there to long lol. Take care and keep us posted on all your milestones....it keeps me positive.

Susan
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Thanks Lynn! It really is good to hear you able to do so many things only 2 weeks post-op! I never would have thought washing your hair was possible just yet. You give me hope!

Keep up the great progress, but please don't over-do it!
            Jennifer---I wont over do it.....my body tells me when enough is enough....lol...sounds silly but its true.
            Lynn -30.... something
            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
              Good for you Lynn!! I think it was much longer before I could do that! LOL of course I had my tool that I relied on.

Keep up the good work,
              I never got a grabby tool thingy...lolI know alot of people have those. I just have been "stretching" (for a lack of a better word) my arms. Roating them, massasing them ..mayb that helped? Who knows....maybe the Scoliosis fairy visited me a few nites back & sprinkled magic fair dust on me?! LOL
              Lynn -30.... something
              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry View Post
                Good job Lynn! No one quite understands how big those little victories are until you go through it yourself! Keep up the good attitude. You're doing great!

Best,
                Anya
                Anya---no kidding....small victories & baby steps is the way to go. Hey...question for you in regards to your meds you were on. Were they (nurses) sticklers with you too? Geezzzz..Im 2 weeks out and they are already talking about cutting me back from my short acting meds. (I switched from oxy to Vicidin)Im nervous that I will bein pain if I do that....but I guess they are just trying to watch over me, makes sense. Just wanted to know how your experiance was in that department.
                Lynn -30.... something
                UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn - CONGRATS!

Doesn't it feel good to know you're through the worst of it?! You're right, your body will tell you when to stop - and when to sleep, LOL

You take care. It's all up from here

Comment

Hi there! I live in WI too and was looking for a doctor that really knows their stuff w/ adult scoli. I am considering surgery. Do you like your doctor? I was just on the UW website before coming on here and saw his name. I am really nervous about surgery, but I can feel my lungs are getting weaker. I don't want to end up like my mom- losing like 5 inches of height with really large, muliple humps in her back. She didn't always look like that, it just got very bad when she hit about 60 or so. It's hard because my husband isn't good w/illness and I will be rehabbing on my own. So I'm not sure if that is practical or not. We also are very short on $$, so he won't be crazy about me getting this done. I swear my chest cavity is getting smaller and smaller and no one understands unless they've dealt with it.
                    Boston Brace for my "C" curve- about a year.
                    "C" curve turned to "S" curve then had to wear a Milwaukee brace for many years. Started with 45 degree curves or so, then ended with 19 degress. I feel I have progressed at minimum to where I started.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie View Post
                      Hi there! I live in WI too and was looking for a doctor that really knows their stuff w/ adult scoli. I am considering surgery. Do you like your doctor? I was just on the UW website before coming on here and saw his name. I am really nervous about surgery, but I can feel my lungs are getting weaker. I don't want to end up like my mom- losing like 5 inches of height with really large, muliple humps in her back. She didn't always look like that, it just got very bad when she hit about 60 or so. It's hard because my husband isn't good w/illness and I will be rehabbing on my own. So I'm not sure if that is practical or not. We also are very short on $$, so he won't be crazy about me getting this done. I swear my chest cavity is getting smaller and smaller and no one understands unless they've dealt with it.

Hi Carlie - Yes, I do like Dr Tribus.(pronounced trah-bew) He is out of Madison & does the surgury in the UW Madsion Hospital. I had to read your post twice so I didnt misunderstand. You have Scoliosis & Im assuming its effecting your upper (thorasic) spine. If its "crushing" your rib cage and effecting your lung capasity, I would say you will most likely need to have it done. What is your curve degree(s) or dont you know? Your mom also has Scoliosis? SOunds like maybe its another diesease of the spine? (Lordosis maybe?)But either way....lets stick to you. As far as age like you mention w.your mom, you are better off taking care if it at a younger age than waiting til youre older as 1-if its progressive obviously the curve will get worse leading to 2-which leads to possibly a more evasive surgery & 3- youger patients typical heal faster & have less "side effects" or complications. OK, so this is where I got confused...your hubby is "not good w/illness"? Im not quite sure what that means? Are you really saying that if you did choose to have this done in the near future, he would refuse to help you recover?? Wow....I really cant imagine that. If thats the case, Im sorry to hear that. What about family & friends? I will be honest (& I can be as I just had my surgery (t4 thru l4) what 16-17 days ago) it would be nearly impossible for you to do this yourself. You are almost the equivulant of an over grown infant for the 1st 2 weeks. Most cant even wipe themselves, wash their own hair, get dressed by themselves.....myself included in those.Its hard to get into bed & out of bed w.out help...of course you will learn to move yourself in the hospital w/the PT that comes in every day. If you cant count on your husband,family or friends, you will def. need to get hired help. Like almost everyone now a days, we are shy on cash too BUT thats what insurance is for, right? If you dont have it, then you may have a BIG FAT hospital/doctor bill. Its not cheap....I have not recvd any info from my ins comp yet, so I can give you exact #'s..but you are looking at probably 250k-350k w/everything....maybe more, who knows? I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and all we had to pay was a $250.00 in patient co-pay...rest is covered 100%! I dont mean to brag but thats a pretty sweet deal. And you are absolutly right, about other people understanding. This is what I did....I educated my husband, family & friends & told them every thingthat would be done to me, the pain factor, the recovery time, etc. I even sent people links w/info or articles I found on line. It truly is a big,major surgery & it shouldnt be taken lightly. I lost a ton of blood & needed 6 blood transfusions! Thats ALOT! If you feel you are having breathing issues due to this, then yes,please go see Dr Tribus for a consultation. He is very nice & will take his time w/you, be honest & let you ask as many questions as you'd like,so as you think of them, write them down. He will let you know what he thinks & you can make your decision from there. If you want ANY other questions answered or whatever, feel free to send me a private message. Good luck and start working on your husband now! lol Educate him & tell him that its for your health now & especially in the future! Good luck Carlie and we will chat soon!! YOu can always send me a private message too, that only I will be able to see if you want! Just click on my name & you will see the option!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Even better, keep as much as possible on the forum, because these posts are so helpful for others contemplating surgery! We really do appreciate such candor. Great post, Lynn. <thumbs up>
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie View Post
                          I don't want to end up like my mom- losing like 5 inches of height with really large, muliple humps in her back. She didn't always look like that, it just got very bad when she hit about 60 or so.
                          Sadly this seems to be the fate for so many of us older women who were never treated for AIS. It eventually forces us to make a decision about major elective surgery. I was never monitored over the years so I don’t know how my curve was progressing. But it wasn’t until I reached my late 40s that I began to notice a loss of height and my deformity worsening as I entered menopause. And personally I don’t think any kind of exercise (Schroth or otherwise) can prevent this from occurring. I was told that surgeons are seeing more and more women like myself who present with increasing pain and worsening deformity following menopause. The good news is that advancements in spine surgery can offer hope for so many of us.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                            Even better, keep as much as possible on the forum, because these posts are so helpful for others contemplating surgery! We really do appreciate such candor. Great post, Lynn. <thumbs up>
                            Thanks Jennifer took me forever to write it! LOL
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. I was glad to finally find a good scoliosis doctor close by. I will get a consult sometime and see what he says. I am just really absorbing what everyone is saying here. My daughter is 4th generation scoliosis in our family. So sad- I was hoping I would be the last. I had a full spine x-ray yesterday and it was something like 38 degrees and 42 degrees. That was about what I was thinking- actually a little less- so that's good! Again- i really appreciate the kindness here!!
                              Boston Brace for my "C" curve- about a year.
                              "C" curve turned to "S" curve then had to wear a Milwaukee brace for many years. Started with 45 degree curves or so, then ended with 19 degress. I feel I have progressed at minimum to where I started.

Comment

Working...
                              X