Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, new to the Forum

Hello all,
    I joined the forum about a month ago but this is my first post. I thought I’d tell you a little about myself. I’m 53 and a fitness trainer for the Missouri School for the Deaf. I love my job but I don’t think I will be able to continue working in this profession much longer. I have progressive scoliosis with 50*L and 35*T curves. In the last couple of years my curve and pain has progressed rapidly so I decided that surgery was in my future. I’m seeing Dr. Keith Bridwell at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis and have set a date for May the 5th. If anyone has had any dealings with him I’d like to know if they were good or bad. I had a myelogram done on the 16th and I experienced severe side effects, such as headache and nausea. Has anyone had the same effects?
    I so happy that I’ve finally found a place I can ask questions, vent when I have a bad day and know that people are going through the same thing and will understand. Thanks to you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you all better!!

Kathy
    Kat

54 yrs. young
    T-33 degree curve
    L-53 degree curve
    Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
    on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

Welcome to the forum, Kathy. I sought an opinion from Dr. Bridwell during my surgery investigation. I believe both Dr. Bridwell and his colleague Dr. Lenke are highly respected and in demand as experts in their field. I was considering surgery by Dr. Bridwell but instead chose a surgeon closer to home who was trained by Dr. Bridwell. I am most pleased with my surgery outcome. I know several people from my support group who have had surgery by Dr. Bridwell and have had nothing but praise for him and the hospital. You will be in good hands. If you are a fitness trainer, you have an advantage going into this surgery being in great condition. I did not have any adverse effects from my myelogram but I don’t think it’s uncommon to experience severe headache and nausea such as you did. I wish you all the best as you make preparations for your surgery. Chris

Comment

Kathy, glad to have you! I'm pretty new here too and will have surgery March 30 in St. Louis but with Dr. Lenke. I really don't know about the other guy--are they partners? I will be at Barnes-Jewish also. Dr. Lenke was my second opinion. I originally was going to Baylor and had most of the tests done there. I had the myleogram there with no problems but was super careful to stay flat for 24? hours, I think. We even stayed an extra day. I also had the discogram since they told me it was needed to check the discs. My lower back has never been the same--it wasn't great to begin with, but it certainly increased the pain. When I decided to go to St. Louis for the second opinion, I asked if it could possibly be from the discogram. He said yes and that's why he doesn't do them any more. Anyway, I'm sure there are people on here who will provide you with lots of information. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome!! It's good to know that someone has had dealings with Barnes Hospital and the surgeons there. It gives me some trust in the doctors and the hospital. I was supposed to have the surgery last May but I chickened out!! I'm still not convinced that I'm going to be better off after the procedure. Seeing the positive results form the people here gives me hope that I'll be able to do some of the things I've had to give up.
        Thanks again for making me feel welcome!!
        Kat

54 yrs. young
        T-33 degree curve
        L-53 degree curve

Comment

Fit Kit,

I completely understand how you feel. As I have told everyone else here, my feelings change moment to moment. My plan is to continue to get in better shape so I can recuperate faster. It's always good to have a plan lol....

Susan
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Welcome Kathy.

You are not alone in "chickening out". I did too. I booked my surgery for September 16th, 2008 but I wasn't ready. I'm booked now in four weeks and I think I'm going to make it this time.

And like you, I worry that I'm not going to be better, but in fact may be worse after the surgery. At present, I can do anything, my pain is infrequent and minimal but my decision was based on the fact my curve is progressing rapidly.

Any discomfort I have now, I treat with a magnetic wrap, which fixes it usually within about 15 minutes. Not sure that it will work after I'm full of titanium.

Clearly, I need this surgery because I am bound to get pain eventually, the way my curve is progressing. I keep telling myself that. I just hope I'm not bringing the pain forward. Even the surgeon couldn't be sure.

I hope you find all the answers to your questions here. I have, the people here are wonderful.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Kathy,

Welcome and ask away with all of your questions. Even though I had scoliosis for years and years, I never EVER dreamed that I would eventually need surgery. When I was hit with the news I was totally shell shocked, and the people here helped me get through it. You will too

Sorry, I never had a myelogram so I can't help you out there.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies!! I really appreciate the support. I'm on the forum at work so I won't be able to reply as often as I would like.

Kathy
                Kat

54 yrs. young
                T-33 degree curve
                L-53 degree curve

Comment

Originally posted by Fit Kit View Post
                  Hello all,
                  I joined the forum about a month ago but this is my first post. I thought I’d tell you a little about myself. I’m 53 and a fitness trainer for the Missouri School for the Deaf. I love my job but I don’t think I will be able to continue working in this profession much longer. I have progressive scoliosis with 50*L and 35*T curves. In the last couple of years my curve and pain has progressed rapidly so I decided that surgery was in my future. I’m seeing Dr. Keith Bridwell at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis and have set a date for May the 5th. If anyone has had any dealings with him I’d like to know if they were good or bad. I had a myelogram done on the 16th and I experienced severe side effects, such as headache and nausea. Has anyone had the same effects?
                  I so happy that I’ve finally found a place I can ask questions, vent when I have a bad day and know that people are going through the same thing and will understand. Thanks to you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you all better!!

Kathy
                  Hi Kathy, welcome. my name is wendy and I am 49-4 months into my recovery from scoliosis surgery. Your curves sound similar to mine...50 lumbar which pre-op my dr thought was 43 but after found it to be more progressed and the thoracic was less severe and he said that the lower correction t1 to t11 would correct the thoracic curve which it did. I have been corrected to zero. The recovery process for the most part has been ok except when I over-do and then I set myself back. As far as the myleogram experience. I did not have a positive one either. I felt really off for days and very headachey and sick. I am a migraine sufferer to begin with so I'm sure that didn't help!
                  My DR. is in Danbury, Ct. Dr Bomback. He came well recommended after a long search and I am confident in him although there is no way around this is a long and sometimes frustrating process. I have a 5 year old and I know I try to do too much and suffer from unrealistic delusional thinking.

There already have been many pluses such as I grew 1 1/2 inches and I have a pretty good figure now. hahaha. I no longer have the chronic shooting pain down my right side that was caused by the squished discs and my rib cage is no longer smashed into the top og my hipbone.

anyway, so far so good. I know this will be worth it for all of us in the end.
                  take care.
                  wendy age 49
                  surgery oct 6th,2008
                  lumbar curve 50 degrees
                  corrected to zero-photo attached
                  wendy from Ct
                  surgery Oct 6th 2008
                  50 degree lumbar curve
                  corrected to zero

Comment

Wendy,

That is an amazing correction you got! I’ve never heard of anyone (except maybe teenagers) getting a complete correction of their scoliosis. At 49 you obviously had a very flexible spine besides a masterful surgeon. You are fortunate that you were treated before your scoliosis reached significant proportions like mine. Lookin’ good.

Comment

Actually, a very good friend of mine age 65 was corrected to 0* just 2 years ago. Dr's do not aim for 0*. We feel this Dr's ego pushed him somewhat to do this. He has achieved 0* with quite a few patients from what we understand, and LOVES to tell everyone this.

My fusion stops at L4 but had they gone to S1 I would probably be 0* as well. I am happy being 8*

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                        We feel this Dr's ego pushed him somewhat to do this. He has achieved 0* with quite a few patients from what we understand, and LOVES to tell everyone this.
                        Who's we???

Comment

Working...
                        X