Surgery scheduled and scared sick!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery scheduled and scared sick!!

Met with My doctor today and finished up with all my questions and scheduled surgery for April 15. I must say that I was so nervous today I almost made myself sick.....you would have thought I was going in for the procedure today. Time to get a grip I guess. I thought I would feel better finally making up my mind to just do it but now I'm just plan Ole' scared! Time to put my faith in above that all will go well

If anyone has any advice as to preparing the family/household for this please let me know. Might as well control as much as I can while I can. Take care...

Susan
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Susan,

I don't think that anyone could be scared more than I was. You will probably find that these next few months are such a mix of emotions. But, you will get through it. So many of us have had the sleepless nights, worrying ourselves sick. I think it's normal. In a way, I think it's torture for so many of us to have to wait months once we make the decision. But on the other hand, it gives us time to physically prepare our bodies better. Take the best care of yourself you can eating, exercising, etc.

And don't forget, whenever you have fears or questions, just come here and you will receive so much good advice.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

As far as the family, I'd have your husband read as much from this forum so he can be prepared as well. A week or so before my surgery, I remember asking specific questions for my husband so that he could read the answers. My fear was that he would expect too much from me too soon and then feel frustrated with me. I think that he had a good idea what was in store for me and the family once he did some reading. The good part for me was that I was able to do many things before we thought I would be able to, which was just a bonus.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbie,

I think your right as far as going through different emotions. It certainly changes from day to day. I plan on having my husband start reading through this website. He is very supportive so I'm not worried about what he will expect from me. I worry more about the stress for him carrying the load. However, he really as been carrying a lot of the load for almost 2 years now because my back has been so bad and than getting pregnant. He is a saint and I am blessed to have him As you said I'm sure I will get through it. I will just be happy once I wake up and get through the first few days. I noticed that you had your surgery back in October. How are you feeling 4.5 months post op? Sounds as though you are doing pretty well!

Susan
        Susan

Comment

hi there

Welcome to the site! I joined in Nov of this past year and learned allot of usefull info & also go lots of my questions answered. I was and still am very thankful for finding it & for "meeting" all of these brave and wonderful people! I scheduled my surgury in Oct 08 for Jan 14th of this year...so....it was 2 weeks & one day ago! Its tough & Im learning to be patient. I am the kind of person who wants results reight away & it just doesnt happen this way w/this sort of surgur About you being scared already....normal! Every day since the day I scheduled mine I thought to myself "ok, this is the last time I will be able to do _________with out my back being all full of metal & screws!" My husband got sick of it after awhile but I think that once he realized how serious it was, he understood. Iwas ok until about one month before the date....then the count down started. Which made my life pretty miserable. Soon I was down to 2 weeks, 1 week...then I was realllllly scared. The day of I was so nervous I was calm, if that makes any sense at all. I rememeber going into the op room and then waking up in ICU.(lost 4 units of blood so had to go there to recover) You have a morphine pump u can use & some other pain meds they will give you. I wont lie, just as everyone on the site wouldnt, its not much fun & its pretty painful BUT it will be worth it. Im only 2 weeks post op and I have days that are great and others that suck..mostly at nite...hurts the most then for some reason. I will cry a little talk giberish to my husband about un doing the surgery then I take a few deep breathes, relax my muscles & get on with it. Today is a great day. Had a good nite sleep, even slept on my side.....seems silly to say but that was not easy to do even w/help about a week ago. I can now sit for about 30 mins at a shot before I need to get up and move around too! Soooo on that note, you are making the right decision, try not to get too worried yet & if you just know its OK & normal. If you want anymore specific questions answered, you can private message me. I just got it done, so everything is fresh in my mind!! Take care----- Lynn
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Surgery

Lynn,

I sent you a private message although I am not to sure if it went through......let me know if you didn't get it.

Susan
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X