Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for those with anterior surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for those with anterior surgeries...

I had my anterior in November and my posterior on December 2nd (2008). Before the surgeries I had a flat stomach. Now, I have a pot belly, and there doesn't seem to be much I can do to get rid of it! I have lost weight. I am walking 5 miles a day...(sometimes I have to walk less due to pain, but always at least 2 to 3), and I'm doing some weird leg lift/don't tip your hip/suck in your gut pt exercise my surgeon and his pt gave me. After 2 days the exercise became too easy. The pt says he is uncomfortable giving me instructions over the phone.
    So, my question is, has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do? How long did it last?
    I am getting married in 4 months and didnt exactly think about the belly issue when I ordered the dress.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Hi...

Is the swelling even across your entire abdomen, or is the bulge more to one side?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Its slightly larger on the left hand side. Which is strange because before the surgery everything on the right hand side was "bigger". Once I got stretched all that pretty much went away.
      I have the swelling on both sides, but the left is definitely larger. :-(
      25 years old
      Anterior on 11/11/08
      fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Hi fierceliketiger,
        It took several months for the swelling in my belly to go down. My scar is just a little to the left of center and it is still a little hard and I am more than a year post-op. I think you are a lot younger than me, so it will probably go down faster than mine, but if it isn't gone by the time you get married, you might think about buying a "spanx". It is like a panty girdle, very comfortable, and they come in two styles. One comes to the waist, the other comes up to just under your bra line. I hope this helps alleviate your worries about your wedding dress. You will be fine. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks Sally! I am starting PT today, and I am hoping they can teach me some exercises to get rid of it!
          25 years old
          Anterior on 11/11/08
          fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Glad you are starting the PT soon. Don't have any info on your question but I think you'll probably be just fine on your wedding day. The spanx idea is good too. Not used them myself, but my friend calls hers the iron girdle--said "You can bounce quarters off my butt" with this thing. Ha!
            I tried to send you a reply to your pm but I think I messed it up and the friend thing too. Never been on one of these before until a few weeks ago and I can be pretty worthless; need to wait until my youngest daughter stops by!
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Tiger...

It could be swelling from the surgery, which will eventually go away, or it could be an incisional hernia. Incisional hernias are not actually hernias, but are abdominal wall defects caused by the muscle layers not being sewn together meticulously.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think i must have a total body hernia .....

Comment

I had anterior also and my swelling took quite awhile to go down- at least a year. Some days it would be worse than others, but most of the time I looked like I was about 6 months pregnant! I tend to swell at the drop of a hat though- my worry was that it would NEVER go down, but it did, so rest assured it just takes time.
                  Cathie

Comment

Working...
                  X