Scoliosis Surgery and Leg Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Surgery and Leg Fatigue

I am a 58 year old woman who used to be in fantastic shape. Then, I had THE surgery (Nov 08). I realize the most important thing I can be doing at this point is walking; however, my legs get so fatigued that I can barely make it down my street and back. Even then, I have to stop a couple of times and lean against a lamp post or tree to rest. I am very worried that I am not making the progress I should be. My pain is minimal; however, the leg fatigue is really debilitating. I have heard from everyone that it's so good I was in such great shape, but, I have to say, at this point, I cannot see that it's made too much difference in my recuperating. The worse thing is that I sure can't see myself doing what I used to do with the weights even after I've totally healed. I'm very down about this, needless to say, and feel like that part of my life is gone forever. Please respond!

I am still having problems with this too. To add to the issue, I now have to wear a shoe lift on the right side. Unfortunately it weighs about 3 times what the other shoe weighs now, so walking is REALLY hard. Before the surgery I was walking 10 miles per day (per my surgeon) with tons of pain, but now I can only do 5...on a good day. I am 23...and had the surgery in December 08.
    I guess I cant offer you anything except that I am sure that you would be much worse off if you hadnt been in such good shape beforehand! I think part of it is just getting the strength back in your legs and core from laying around after surgery. My surgeon has me doing some leg lift things (only 6 inches off the bed/floor/etc) and tightening my stomach (and trying not to let my hips move from one side to the other) to try to increase both the leg strength and my core strength. Maybe you could talk to your surgeon or PT about some leg exercises?
    *hugs* I am sure things will get better
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

It really does get better. Remember your body is still healing from a very major surgery. That takes time and a lot of energy. Your legs will catch up. I promise. If you had surgery in November you aren't even 3 months out. Allow yourself the right to not be back to normal today or even tomorrow. All of a sudden you will just feel so much better, like you can conquer the world. In the mean time stay strong, eat healthy and welcome to the other side!
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Keep your chin up and keep walking! I too am 58 and worked out 5 or 6 days a week until September and was in better shape than most 35 year olds. Then on September 10th and 17th I had "the" surgery to correct my 84 degree scoliosis. The first day, I had my tenth rib removed and some discs in my back. One week later, the remaining discs between T4 and L5 were removed and two 24" rods, 24 screws inserted and everything between T4 and L5 fused. My doctor told me the more I walked, the better I would feel. So first with my walker, then on the arm of my husband...first shuffling along, then walking more naturally...first the length of the house, then to the end of the driveway, to the end of the street, around the block, around two blocks...you get the picture...I am now walking at least two miles every day. Several weeks ago, I walked almost 3 1/2 miles with a friend and felt great when we finished! I'm even looking forward to walking a 5K for MS in two weeks. You will get there! Don't give up! The doctors, nurses, therapists, my husband keep saying..."it just takes time." How I hate hearing it, but how right they are. My body works a bit differently these days, but it works! We didn't lose a part of our lives...we were given our future... a healthy future. You will be fit again...it just takes time.

Comment

You said it perfectly, Alda!!

Comment

Working...
          X