Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the ladies

Ladies,

In a book that I bought on scoliosis surgery it said that all women will get their periods shortly after their operations. Also, it stated that everyone looses weight post surgery, yet I haven't come across any postings so far where anyone has said that they have. That would certainly be a plus in all of this What can I expect here??!!

Susan
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Well I have had two fusion surgeries and the first one I started my period and at the second one I got my period. Now that maybe just a coincidence. After both my fusion surgeries I lost weight. A lot of that was muscle for me but that was before they would just get you right up out of bed like the next day after surgery. When I had my first surgery I was in bed for 2 weeks until I got my cast on then I was able to slowly walk around and my recovery time was a lot slower. That is why I think I got so thin.
    Adrienne
    1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
    1993 Rod Removal
    1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
    2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
    Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
    Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

My initial surgery in Dec of 07 really screwed up my periods. I had 9 in 4 months! Ended up on birth control pills to get back to normal. Turns out that my very short surgery in Nov 08 (20 minutes to remove some hardware) did the same thing...I am back on birth control pills to get back to normal.
      After the initial surgery I lost close to 15 lbs, mainly because I just didn't have the energy to eat a full meal. A few bites and I was done. Most of that came off between weeks 2 and 6 or 7 post op. That lasted until about 5 months post op then I put all of that weight back on, so I am back where I started.
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Lucky me had my period when I went in for surgery. Then I didn't get one for another 11 weeks, which I LOVED.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'm post-menopause, so no worries there, but I did lose about 10-15 pounds after the surgery. The narcotics kill your appetite and in my case, I got full really quickly. I don't know if it's because of scar tissue in my abdomen or what, but I still can't eat nearly the amounts I used to and so am consequently still 7 or 8 pounds less than before surgery.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I am also post-menopausal so ditto what Singer said... however, I gained weight in the hospital and never got it off, but I have had a lifelong problem with weight and have low metabolism. I also did not eat very much-- and had an ileus (stomach doesn't wake back up when it should) so didn't have anything to eat or drink for 5 days-- but oh well! MOST people do lose some weight, so don't gauge it by me.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My daughter got her period about 3 days after surgery even though she had just had her period a week or so before surgery.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Susan...

At the time of my surgery, I was having very regular cycles. I planned my surgery so that I wouldn't have my period during surgery or while in the hospital. Unfortunately, by the time I woke up from surgery, I already had my period. I also lost about 20 pounds in the month following surgery.

Good luck.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I didn't loose weight before surgery but I did after. Especially because the first week I did not eat a thing because I was so sick from the anesthesia. I also had my period about a week before my surgery and I totally skipped the next month. My period came back after the second month and then I got pregnant so I haven't had any since.
                  Jamie Age 29
                  Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                  2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                  Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                  T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Wow I did lose weight after both my surgeries. Maybe it wasn't because of time.

Even though this wasn't my thread I sure learned something. I think the body goes through alot and it takes time to bounce back. But the weight does come back on.
                    Adrienne
                    1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
                    1993 Rod Removal
                    1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
                    2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
                    Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
                    Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

I lost about 15 lbs in the weeks after surgery. Same as everyone else, couldnt eat much, and sick from all the meds. Plus not moving makes you want to eat less.

I didnt get my period right away. My surgeon reccomended skipping it via birth control pills
                      1.) my iron count was low to begin with
                      2.) it is so hard to reach ANYTHING that that is a hard thing to deal with

Thus far, I am still "skipping" via pills and will start getting my period this month again. I am 7 weeks out.
                      25 years old
                      double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                      Anterior on 11/11/08
                      Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                      nearly perfect correction
                      fused t-10 to pelvis
                      with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                      Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                      Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                      Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                      Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

I got my period between surgeries 1 and 2, Then didn't have it for 3 months. Now its still a bit sporadic. I also lost 30 lbs and with a lot of work have gained back about 10 lb., don't want to gain much more just build muscle now. Going to an All-Inclusive for vacation helped with that
                        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                        (left open with just clear dressing)
                        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Originally posted by Sharshe View Post
                          I got my period between surgeries 1 and 2, Then didn't have it for 3 months. Now its still a bit sporadic. I also lost 30 lbs and with a lot of work have gained back about 10 lb., don't want to gain much more just build muscle now. Going to an All-Inclusive for vacation helped with that
                          30 pounds is a lot of weight to lose, I'm glad to hear that you have gain some of that back. Doing some weight training will get you the muscle that you need. Enjoy that vacation, you certainlu have earned it!!!!!!
                          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X