PDA

View Full Version : A question for the ladies

asccbodypro
01-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Ladies,

In a book that I bought on scoliosis surgery it said that all women will get their periods shortly after their operations. Also, it stated that everyone looses weight post surgery, yet I haven't come across any postings so far where anyone has said that they have. That would certainly be a plus in all of this:) What can I expect here??!!

Susan

augemac
01-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Well I have had two fusion surgeries and the first one I started my period and at the second one I got my period. Now that maybe just a coincidence. After both my fusion surgeries I lost weight. A lot of that was muscle for me but that was before they would just get you right up out of bed like the next day after surgery. When I had my first surgery I was in bed for 2 weeks until I got my cast on then I was able to slowly walk around and my recovery time was a lot slower. That is why I think I got so thin.

Geish
01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
My initial surgery in Dec of 07 really screwed up my periods. I had 9 in 4 months! Ended up on birth control pills to get back to normal. Turns out that my very short surgery in Nov 08 (20 minutes to remove some hardware) did the same thing...I am back on birth control pills to get back to normal.
After the initial surgery I lost close to 15 lbs, mainly because I just didn't have the energy to eat a full meal. A few bites and I was done. Most of that came off between weeks 2 and 6 or 7 post op. That lasted until about 5 months post op then I put all of that weight back on, so I am back where I started.

debbei
01-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Lucky me had my period when I went in for surgery. Then I didn't get one for another 11 weeks, which I LOVED.

Singer
01-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm post-menopause, so no worries there, but I did lose about 10-15 pounds after the surgery. The narcotics kill your appetite and in my case, I got full really quickly. I don't know if it's because of scar tissue in my abdomen or what, but I still can't eat nearly the amounts I used to and so am consequently still 7 or 8 pounds less than before surgery.

Susie*Bee
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I am also post-menopausal so ditto what Singer said... however, I gained weight in the hospital and never got it off, but I have had a lifelong problem with weight and have low metabolism. I also did not eat very much-- and had an ileus (stomach doesn't wake back up when it should) so didn't have anything to eat or drink for 5 days-- but oh well! MOST people do lose some weight, so don't gauge it by me. :rolleyes:

Snoopy
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
My daughter got her period about 3 days after surgery even though she had just had her period a week or so before surgery.

Mary Lou

LindaRacine
01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Susan...

At the time of my surgery, I was having very regular cycles. I planned my surgery so that I wouldn't have my period during surgery or while in the hospital. Unfortunately, by the time I woke up from surgery, I already had my period. I also lost about 20 pounds in the month following surgery.

Good luck.

Regards,
Linda

JamieR
01-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I didn't loose weight before surgery but I did after. Especially because the first week I did not eat a thing because I was so sick from the anesthesia. I also had my period about a week before my surgery and I totally skipped the next month. My period came back after the second month and then I got pregnant so I haven't had any since.

augemac
01-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Wow I did lose weight after both my surgeries. Maybe it wasn't because of time.

Even though this wasn't my thread I sure learned something. I think the body goes through alot and it takes time to bounce back. But the weight does come back on. :o

fierceliketiger
01-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I lost about 15 lbs in the weeks after surgery. Same as everyone else, couldnt eat much, and sick from all the meds. Plus not moving makes you want to eat less.

I didnt get my period right away. My surgeon reccomended skipping it via birth control pills
1.) my iron count was low to begin with
2.) it is so hard to reach ANYTHING that that is a hard thing to deal with

Thus far, I am still "skipping" via pills and will start getting my period this month again. I am 7 weeks out.

Sharshe
01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I got my period between surgeries 1 and 2, Then didn't have it for 3 months. Now its still a bit sporadic. I also lost 30 lbs and with a lot of work have gained back about 10 lb., don't want to gain much more just build muscle now. Going to an All-Inclusive for vacation helped with that:D

asccbodypro
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I got my period between surgeries 1 and 2, Then didn't have it for 3 months. Now its still a bit sporadic. I also lost 30 lbs and with a lot of work have gained back about 10 lb., don't want to gain much more just build muscle now. Going to an All-Inclusive for vacation helped with that:D

30 pounds is a lot of weight to lose, I'm glad to hear that you have gain some of that back. Doing some weight training will get you the muscle that you need. Enjoy that vacation, you certainlu have earned it!!!!!!