physical therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• physical therapy

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on how therapy will go once one is out of the hospital.....are you given exercises at the hospital to do at home? Do you go and see a physical therapist weekly? My doctor said lots of walking! Which I typically try to do, but since the holidays and cold weather I haven't been walking outside as much. I do make sure to get the treadmill in 3 times/week and I also have an elliptical that I am going to start getting on everyday....or my husband threatened to put up for sale on ebay lol I also do weight training @ my chiropractors office. First I have my adjustments than workout and than he has to adjust me again because nothing stays where it should. I am usually at the office for 2-3 hours. Another good reason for surgery. I feel like I spend more time at the chiropractor (god bless him because he has done a lot for me) than I do at home!

Also, here's another stupid question......does anyone whose had surgery have a pillow top mattress? If so, how hard has it been for you to get in and out of it. We bought it because my back had gotten so bad, and it is very comfortable for me NOW. Just not so sure it will be after surgery.

Another dumb question: because I am new at this........what is this TAGS box I see at the bottom of the page here. What am I supposed to do with that lol....I am not a good computer person Thanks so much!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Pt

Physical therapy for me began when I stayed at a rehab hosp for 2-3 weeks--which I highly recommend. Covered by insurance, good pain relief and unloads the family. One cannot do this on one's own. Walking is great though. I have a sleep on air mattress. At the rehab hosp you are taught correct ways to move while healing, getting into and out of the car etc.

I recently stayed at a hotel with a pillow-top mattress and it was very comfortable--but my surgery was 6 years ago and I am pain-free.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I am older than you by quite a lot, so things should be much easier for you, especially in the condition that you are in. My surgery was in Chicago-- about 2+ hours from where I life. I was in the hospital for 11 days and had a little PT there-- walking, log-rolling, walking up and down stairs, etc. Very basic, but very difficult for me at the time. I was told the best thing was to walk, walk, walk once I got home... Also, when I got home from the hospital (and I was there for 11 days), arrangements were made with a local hospital to have PT come to my home for a few weeks, 2-3 times a week. They got me started with pretty basic arm and leg exercises -- using a theraband, etc. Then I was to continue on my own. Later, at around 5-6 months post-op, my surgeon had me go to PT (actually my request) because I needed additional help regaining strength to my arms and legs. I went to PT 2-3 times a week for about 2 months, and it REALLY helped a lot. I stuck with the regimen at home-- even bought a treadmill and a total gym and ankle weights and hand dumbbells... My surgeon lifted some more restrictions at 11 months and had me return to PT for some core strengthening work, for a couple more months. Again, this was just what I needed. I am so glad I was able to have PT later on like that. My therapist left me with two alternating programs that are intended to work my muscles well...

I think if you do a search you might find info on pillow top mattresses. I would think it would be ok for you. You just have to log roll out of bed.

Regarding the tags-- I have only seen them actually used a couple of times (that I was aware of), but if you got to FAQs you can read about them.

I know this was kind of long. Sorry if it's not much help.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

For the first 6 weeks, I walked at least 30 minutes per day. Then after my 6 week checkup, they wrote a prescription for PT. I started at 2 months post op and am going 3x a week for 8 weeks. I love it, and have gotten so much stronger than when I started. I also try to do my treadmill on the days I don't have PT.

THe therapist will give me exercises to do at home once my 8 weeks are over. I will need light hand weights, leg weights, those rubber band thingies and an exercise ball.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My therapy was similar to Suzie Bees where a PT girl would come out and we would do some relatively minor things. I had an A/P and my shoulder was broken, and was totally whooped so we had to take it slow. Yes, I'm probably the only person who has ever done a scoli surgery, with other broken body parts.

After I had my shoulder fixed on Oct 6th, the P/T on my arm really helped my back out also. I'm still at it.

My surgeon insisted on "outside walking" not indoors. The fresh air thing, you know?

I have a medium tempurpedic and had to use foam on top of it. It wasn't soft enough. Quite a few people here have mentioned that foam was the way to go. I went with 2 inches thick, If I had to do it again, Id go 3 inches thick.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I am going to start PT soon, so I dont know too much about that.
            About the mattress, We have a fairly firm mattress with a small pillow top and it was REALLY hard for me to lay on my back for the first two weeks. In week 3 we bought a memory foam topper, and it was AWFUL. I felt even more like a turtle. I couldn't get out of the hole I had sunk into. It was only 3 inches, but wow, was it hard. Then, when I tried to change positions, I would fall back into the hole I had created from the previous position (which hadnt filled in). Also, it retained heat like CRAZY, which, for me sucked. I was grouchy, sweaty, and stuck. Also, when I tried to get up, using my arms, my arm would start sinking! The very next day I had my fiance take the thing off the bed, and dealt (much more happily) with my hard bed. After about 3 1/2 weeks the hardness wasnt a problem.
            I think as long as your pillow top is not memory foam/isnt too thick you should be fine. Really though, either way you will find a way to work around it.
            25 years old
            double 70+ degree curves before surgery
            Anterior on 11/11/08
            Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
            nearly perfect correction
            fused t-10 to pelvis
            with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
            Broke left rod on 10/24/09
            Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
            Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
            Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Originally posted by fierceliketiger View Post
              I am going to start PT soon, so I dont know too much about that.
              About the mattress, We have a fairly firm mattress with a small pillow top and it was REALLY hard for me to lay on my back for the first two weeks. In week 3 we bought a memory foam topper, and it was AWFUL. I felt even more like a turtle. I couldn't get out of the hole I had sunk into. It was only 3 inches, but wow, was it hard. Then, when I tried to change positions, I would fall back into the hole I had created from the previous position (which hadnt filled in). Also, it retained heat like CRAZY, which, for me sucked. I was grouchy, sweaty, and stuck. Also, when I tried to get up, using my arms, my arm would start sinking! The very next day I had my fiance take the thing off the bed, and dealt (much more happily) with my hard bed. After about 3 1/2 weeks the hardness wasnt a problem.
              I think as long as your pillow top is not memory foam/isnt too thick you should be fine. Really though, either way you will find a way to work around it.
              LOL! Sorry, but I can picture myself having the same problem because I do it now and I haven't even had surgery yet! My husband will laugh at me and ask if I need help! Hopefully you'll be able to look back and laugh. I think your right, I will just deal with my mattress. I would imagine nothing in the first few weeks would make you to comfy. Please keep me informed as to how your physical therapy goes. Being a personal trainer I will give you this advise.....Listen to your body!!!
              Susan

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                My therapy was similar to Suzie Bees where a PT girl would come out and we would do some relatively minor things. I had an A/P and my shoulder was broken, and was totally whooped so we had to take it slow. Yes, I'm probably the only person who has ever done a scoli surgery, with other broken body parts.

After I had my shoulder fixed on Oct 6th, the P/T on my arm really helped my back out also. I'm still at it.

My surgeon insisted on "outside walking" not indoors. The fresh air thing, you know?

I have a medium tempurpedic and had to use foam on top of it. It wasn't soft enough. Quite a few people here have mentioned that foam was the way to go. I went with 2 inches thick, If I had to do it again, Id go 3 inches thick.
                Ed
                Ed,

Did you go in to surgery with a broken shoulder or did they break it during surgery? Talk about having your body beat up! I can't even imagine trying to move after having your back surgery done with a shoulder that is just as bad. Must build lots of character

Susan
                Susan

Comment

memory foam

Oooo. I disagree about memory foam. I love it! I use a 4" topper and a small memory foam pillow. I also have a small memory foam wedge that can be a life saver. (I have a steeper wedge that is not memory foam and assemble them with the memory foam on top, if I want the greater angle.)

I didn't have the memory foam topper available until one month after surgery.

I do have a problem with getting too hot, but I think that is my body thermostat on the fritz.

(6 mos. past surgery and too old for hot flashes )
                  Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
                  Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
                  by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                    Ed,

Did you go in to surgery with a broken shoulder or did they break it during surgery?
                    I think he wasn't taking direction so they had to get a little rough with him.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                      Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on how therapy will go once one is out of the hospital.....are you given exercises at the hospital to do at home? Do you go and see a physical therapist weekly? My doctor said lots of walking! Which I typically try to do, but since the holidays and cold weather I haven't been walking outside as much. I do make sure to get the treadmill in 3 times/week and I also have an elliptical that I am going to start getting on everyday....or my husband threatened to put up for sale on ebay lol I also do weight training @ my chiropractors office. First I have my adjustments than workout and than he has to adjust me again because nothing stays where it should. I am usually at the office for 2-3 hours. Another good reason for surgery. I feel like I spend more time at the chiropractor (god bless him because he has done a lot for me) than I do at home!

Also, here's another stupid question......does anyone whose had surgery have a pillow top mattress? If so, how hard has it been for you to get in and out of it. We bought it because my back had gotten so bad, and it is very comfortable for me NOW. Just not so sure it will be after surgery.

Another dumb question: because I am new at this........what is this TAGS box I see at the bottom of the page here. What am I supposed to do with that lol....I am not a good computer person Thanks so much!
                      HI! I was given small little things to do w/my butt/feet/etc. And walking to "load"' the spine. My house is pretty small, so pacing back & forth all day stinks. I was not told @ this point to go some where for PT. I got a hospital bed for home as I knew my comfie soft bed that I miss ohh so much would not work. I did try it out and it was horrible. To high off the ground....pillow top like yours! BUt everyone's different so give it try!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital
                      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I started physical therapy a week ago (at about the 7 week mark). I am up to walking 6 miles a day, also doing all sorts of exercises from PT. Bridges with the ball, some upper body work, mostly lower body and core exercises. :-)
                        25 years old
                        Anterior on 11/11/08
                        fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

I started physical therapy a week ago (at about the 7 week mark). I am up to walking 6 miles a day, also doing all sorts of exercises from PT. Bridges with the ball, some upper body work, mostly lower body and core exercises. :-)
                          Wow! You and Debbei are making me look bad! I must be babying myself too much. Debbei you've been working out before your big day and are doing well now with it...and fierceliketiger.....6 miles a day???? My God I didnt get that much BEFORE my surgery!!! I think I should have waited til SPring to do this.....OR maybe I need to quite being a wimp & get moving. I just feel so crappy all the time, walking is the last thing on my mind...honest. Im 3 weeks tomorrow and could barly walk thru Walgreens last evening(1st venture out since I got back from the hospital to buy some Benedril!! Little old ladies w/canes where moving faster than I was. I just took my sweet ole time and when someone got too close, I would freak & say "please dont run into me-thanks" I was like a lunatic! lol Funny now, horrible yesterday!! Back to PT...do you (you meaning everyone who reads this) think I will end up having to go for PT after my post-op? I think it would be good for me to get motivated or something, instead of feeling sorry for myself!!!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Don't worry, going out takes it out of me as well! I can barely walk around walmart once before I am just exhausted.Plus being around lots of people makes me pretty tired. I can't do 6 miles right off the bat. I have to walk it in at least 2 sessions, so 4 miles at a time, then 2. It took me a while to get there too. I started walking about 1/2 mile a day when I left the hospital, and just moved it up since then. So, it took 6 weeks to get to 6 miles. Yesterday I skipped walking altogether because PT kicked my butt!
                            25 years old
                            Anterior on 11/11/08
                            fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Don't worry, going out takes it out of me as well! I can barely walk around walmart once before I am just exhausted.Plus being around lots of people makes me pretty tired. I can't do 6 miles right off the bat. I have to walk it in at least 2 sessions, so 4 miles at a time, then 2. It took me a while to get there too. I started walking about 1/2 mile a day when I left the hospital, and just moved it up since then. So, it took 6 weeks to get to 6 miles. Yesterday I skipped walking altogether because PT kicked my butt!
                              I still think thats amazing! Damn snow & cold air! I would be more apt to walk outside...or the mall. The mall sounds fun BUT again, I am deathly afraid of the car...in reference to the Walgreens adventure yesterday!! Ughhhhh.........I curse Scoliosis!!! ARGGhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Lynn -30.... something
                              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Working...
                              X