Neurontin - Gabapentin issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurontin - Gabapentin issue...

OK, after reading this article: What's It Going to Take to Lock Up Drug Company Execs?

"In a recently unsealed 318-page analysis of research sponsored by Parke-Davis, epidemiologist Kay Dickersin concluded that available documents demonstrate 'a remarkable assemblage of evidence of reporting biases that amount to outright deception of the biomedical community, and suppression of scientific truth concerning the effectiveness of Neurontin for migraine, bipolar disorders, and pain.' For example, publication was delayed for a report on a multi-center, placebo-controlled study that found no effect of Neurontin on the primary outcome measure for neuropathic pain because 'we [Parke-Davis employees] should take care not to publish anything that damages neurontin's marketing success.'"
    I'm worried. I take gabapentin and maybe I'm just getting a placebo effect? While it works so far, maybe after reading this its not gonna work? I donno but I am worried.

If anyone has a New England Journal of Medicine subscrition can read the original here. If any of you do, can you cut and paste it please?

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Hi Brad...

Even if it is the placebo effect, if it's working for you, I can't imagine why you'd stop taking it. If, after reading the article, it stops working, that would be the time to stop.

Hope it continues to work for you.

Best,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hard to believe ...

I have a hard time believing the placebo effect for Neurontin. I was on it for stenosis prior to one of my earlier surgeries and it gave me immediate relief. At the time I knew nothing about it so didn't have any preconceived ideas about what it would do. I was miserable and in huge pain at the time; if a placebo were to work for me, why didn't I get relief from the three or four drugs I tried previously to the Neurontin? Sorry - I'm not buying this one.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I don't buy it either. I take 300 mg gabapentin three times a day and it makes a world of difference as to whether I can sleep at night or not. When I forget to take a dose, I can feel the difference. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Same here, I tried all sorts of painkillers before I was put on Gabapentin and it made a difference almost at once. If I ever forget to take my night-time dose, I wake up with nerve pain in my legs, cursing the fact that I forgot to take it! I really don't see how it can be a placebo.

Comment

Neurontin is not a placebo

Neurontin was originally marketed and used as an anti-seizure medication. In time it was noticed it helped neuropathic pain. When this happens practitioners have the right to use it "off-label". meaning it's used for something it seems to help not listed on the label. Later on it can be put on the label. Neurontin worked for me where narcotics didn't (they do not help nerve pain). It was a true Godsend when my nerves were waking up. I used it for 6 months post revision and then had it tapered off. I was taking the maximum dose:3600mgm.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
            X