Interesting articles/discussions on FixScoliosis' website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting articles/discussions on FixScoliosis' website

I must say I find the short discussions on recent articles in the literature that FixScoliosis has on his website to be fascinating. Lots of food for thought. Absolutely no heavy-handed Clear Institute party line that I saw. Rather some level-headed, open-minded, intriguing opining on the exceedingly complex subject of AIS in my opinion.

You know, AIS reminds me of a comment I sometimes make about how we can send a man to the moon but can't cure a particular skin problem ("scratches") some horses get. In reality, these biological/medical/veterinary problems are inherently far more complex than engineering problems like building a lunar lander, let's say.

The blurbs on normal slight rotation, the differences between males and females, and balance maps to anecdotal observations about the difficulty of learning how to ride at the upper levels and why it is easier for men to develop a "good seat" than women.

Horses can sense very,very, very minute changes in the balance of the rider... my horse will turn JUST from me looking where I want to go... I do nothing else. He can feel the change in my balance of a head turn. Also, I can ask him to canter by just thinking "canter." He is not reading my mind but rather my body is signaling him but the cue is too small for me to detect.

While this is the basis of "invisible aids" in riding, it is also the reason why learning to ride is so challenging... most people need years and years and years to develop the body control and sense of straightness that essentially removes the white noise the horse hears from lesser riders. Horses are exquisite in this and so many other ways.

It just seems these issues being identified with AIS are consistent with other things.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Thanks Sharon

I am glad to hear that you found my blog to your liking. I hope that I can keep posting facts extracted from scientific papers that would be interesting to read for the public interested in scoliosis.

In my latest post, Adams Test for diagnosing Scoliosis, I am posting on the historical origin of the test as everybody has heard about it and know that it is used with screening and diagnosing scoliosis, but nobody seems to have a clue where it originated from.

It was in England ,way back in 1865 (yes, the year is correct) when a certain Mr Adams had lectures about scoliosis. These lectures are compiled in a book published in 1865 called ‘Lectures on the pathology and treatment of lateral and other of forms curvature of the spine’. Thanks to google we can all read them.
    It is rather heavy reading, but very interesting, from an historical perspective that is.
    A practitioner seeking answers to enhance the treatment of Idiopathic Scoliosis

Blog: www.fixscoliosis.com/

Comment

FixScoliosis,

Let me first state, I'm not a fan of chiropractic in general - and particularly skeptical of CLEAR.

After I read what Sharon wrote, however, I decided to try and read your blog with an open mind. To my surprise, I found it interesting and thought provoking. Unlike most others I've encountered in your profession, I thought the focus on the dynamics of the scoliotic spine was refreshing. While I still don't buy into CLEAR, I can appreciate what I read for what it is.

I'd like to mention something that demonstrates potential anomalies with this condition for your consideration; things that make scoliosis so difficult to predict - and even more difficult to treat:

Idiopathic scoliosis: prognostic value of the profile [14] by Castelein and Veraart, is indeed interesting, but I found the quote “they considered a well-developed thoracic kyphosis to be an adequate protection against progressive scoliosis” of particular significance.

Look at my saggital x-ray (attached), and note the near absence of pre-op kyphosis. Despite this, and despite the fact my curve remained stable within the ±49°-±53° range through adulthood, when prevailing opinion is it should have progressed - for a multitude of reasons.

No real argument with any of the articles I've read (so far ;-) on your site, just thought you might find the "contrary nature" of my curve of interest.

Thank you for taking the time to post some good information to add to the overall arsenal of knowledge.

Best regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam

Good that you can appreciate what I write on the blog, it is there to provide information.
        There is so much emotions and feeling attached with AIS and often very little knowledge available for parents and patients to read that I decided to start my blog. It also helps me to remember where I read something in particular, sort of a public notebook.
        Now, there will be times that readers will not agree with my thoughts, ideas and conclusions, that I make due to my background. I hope that people like yourself will then object and question why I have drawn the particular conclusion, I think this will befit us all. (I can make mistakes too)

As for the qoute that you highlighted, I believe that it was more directed at the development of AIS in the adolescence as that is what the article is focused on, having said that I can't be sure as the references are in German, one from 1866 and the other written in 1889. I could get hold of them, but its not worth the money and I would not understand what they say anyway.

As for your curve, around 50 degrees, it is generally assumed that it would be progression about a degree or two per year, your case confirms that there is great variability in IS and there is a lot more for us to learn.

Comment

Genetics: revolutionary discovery regarding treatment implications

The discovery of the gene associated with likely curve progression is amazing and has profound implications for screening, follow-up and treatment.

here it is from another post:
          http://www.vinzenzgruppe.at/vinzenzg...3Ogilivie.pdf/

Some conclusions: curves genetically unlikely to progress do not need bracing or intensive follow up sparing lots of kids misery.

A scoring system was developed with a high level of confidence. The higher the score the less success with bracing however early surgery, before profound deformity, could be considered.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by FixScoliosis View Post
            ... As for the qoute that you highlighted, I believe that it was more directed at the development of AIS in the adolescence as that is what the article is focused on ...
            Fix,

My curve was only in recent years broken out to be JIS vs. AIS (when I was dx'd in 1978, there wasn't a JIS designation). Even so, a curve dx'd in a 10 year old (although presumably I was curving before then) borders on AIS.

Also, I grew VERY little (maybe less than an inch) after age 10, and had no pre-menarchal growth spurt; onset of menarche was not until age 14.

As I said, an anomaly. But how common are they?

And, yeah ... as Karen pointed out, you do need to revise your text that there is no accurate indicator for progressive curves. There IS a test available ... although it only applies to a small subset of scoli patients.

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam

Been quite busy for a few days..

Your growth pattern does not fit in any textbook that I know of.
              (I saw your modeling picture in a another thread, so I know that you are not vertically challenged. (picture looked good))

I can even guess how uncommon you growth pattern is, i just know that I have not heard or read of any cases. If any one else knows something, please make a post.

As for the AxialBiotech's test, I'll amend my blog post to highlight its existence. Personally I still think it some way to go, but its a great start.

Comment

Working...
              X