Why you did/didn't have surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you did/didn't have surgery?

What were the reasons you decided to have surgery or the reasons you decided not to have surgery?

I'll go first. I choose not have surgery (so far). I feel as long as I can walk and I can live with the pain (with no medication as I feel I need to feel the pain when I have it) I won't have surgery. But that doesn't mean I won't have it in the future. What are you reasons?
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

We are the same age. My curve progressed from unnoticed to very noticeable in my fifties and I lost 6 cm in height in 2-3 years. My GP sent me for xrays and when she looked at them, she said to me, "Jennifer, you have the most interesting spine I've ever seen" and referred me to the surgeon.

Surgeon said it will continue progressing until I am in a lot of pain, in possibly 10 years. He said the earlier I have the surgery, the easier it will be on me and gave me a year to make the decision. That was back in June and I am having the surgery in 6 weeks.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I decided to have surgery mainly due to curve progression (see signature). My surgeon also recommended it and felt the sooner the better since he would get a better correction because I was still pretty flexible. Insurance was a big issue too. Everything was covered 100% and I was worried I may not always have that great of coverage. I still have the same pain I had before my surgery, plus a little more, but the progression has been stopped and my rib hump is completely gone.
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I decided to have the surgery because I felt that I no longer had any other option. After 20 years of excruciating pain, having most of my lumbar discs herniate, losing 3 inches in height, and facing the prospect of not being able to walk, work, or have a meaningful life, surgery offered some hope of relief. I was 39 at that time, and I just turned 60! Considering what could have been if I did not have the surgery, I am very grateful that I did.

Nora
        T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

It was starting to affect my lung function. I know I had mine as a kid so it's kind of different, but I think any time it starts to affect your vital organs is a good time to get the surgery done.
          - 39 years old
          - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
          - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
          - Harrington rod
          - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
          - New mommy as of February 2011
          - Second child - September 2013
          - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

I decided to have the surgery because in 25 years both curves had progressed from 30 degrees to 66, and there was no stopping them. In another 20 years, I didn't want to end up like my grandmother did--all twisted, and in pain, and deformed in a wheel chair. I saw how she lived the last (at least) 15 years of her life and I didn't want to get that way too. Insurance was another reason for me. We have this incredible insurance until the end of this April, and it happened to be the only insurance my docor took. It just seemed like it was the right thing to do at this time for me.

I'm so glad it's over with, because waiting 3 or 4 months was hard enough. I hate to think what I would have been like having this hang over my head for years. I would have ended up nuttier than I was.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

We're the same age too. I chose to have surgery for two main reasons-- my curve was progressing (6 degrees in 2 years) and the quality of my life was decreasing... there were more and more things I didn't do anymore because of the aches and pains I was having. As someone else said, I chose to have it done when I did because the older you get the harder it is on you-- and there comes a time when it's not even an option anymore. I could have put it off at least a few more years but weighed things out and decided to go for it when I did. I'm glad I did. Best wishes as you struggle with your options.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

No surgery for me either

I was told my curves were stable.
                They were wrong.
                After 2 kids my curves progressed to 68 degrees (12 of it in the last 2 years)
                My lungs and organs aren't suffering so I'll be giving the SpineCor a try.
                Age 28
                diagnosed at age 12
                wore a boston brace until age 14
                No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
                T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
                L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
                2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
                2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

I was 12, so I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter, although my parents did include me in all decision making. But if I didn't have it I would be dead about 17 years now. My curve was rapidly progressing, it had already passed 100 degrees by the time I was 12, so there really was no other option.
                  Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                  Still have 57 degree curve
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                  Preop xray (with brace on)
                  Postop xray

Comment

Hi Qikdraw -

I share your feelings that the surgery can be lifesaving. I always tell people that I would be dead without it. It is not an overstatement. I was in such pain and deteriorating so rapidly that I would have died from an acute drug overdose to control the pain, or from pneumonia or another illness since I would have been bed bound.

N
                    T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

Pain and not being able to walk more than a few yards at a time or stand for more than a few minutes at a time.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

In 25 years, my curve progressed from 25 to 70 degrees. After I turned 50, the curve started to progress dramatically and I lost 2 inches of height in 2 years. Also, I had increasing pain when I tried to sit or stand for any length of time. Still, I agonized over the decision and it took me over a year to muster up the courage to have the surgery. I'm glad I had it done while I was still relatively young (52).
                        Chris
                        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Wow, this is some scary stuff!

I've been told several times over the years that I needed "THE SURGERY" but have never been told what that would entail. It would be interesting to know exactly what was done during surgery to help correct your problems. Example: put in a rod, take out the hump, how they relieved pressure on the lungs, what procedure was done in surgery to make you feel better? Does the straightening of the spine cure all or are other things involved when they do "THE SURGERY". Hope this makes sense. Thanks,
                          dd
                          dd
                          57 yr. old female
                          Pembroke Pines, FL
                          No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
                          2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

Hi DD

Progression and pain were the last straw with me. My lower curve was 58 degrees in 2005, then 70 degrees 26 months later. That's 12 degrees in 26 months which is fast. My curves held for quite a few years, but here you can see what can happen.

Do you know what your Cobb angles are? Do you have a copy of your x-rays?

If not, this is very important. If you have x-rays done, get a copy for yourself, they are yours. Date them.

You should have x-rays shot once per year, to compare and see if you are progressing. This is the only way to ck progression.

The details of any particular surgery are up to the surgeon, after all the diagnostics are done and so forth.

Yes, its scary stuff.

Keep reading and posting
                            Regards
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

“If you were my sister, I would recommend surgery and that you have it within the next year or two;” “Trust me, you don’t want to wait with this;” “I can’t predict when, but I can tell you for certain that one day you are not going to be able to stand up.” Those were some of the comments made to me by surgeons with whom I consulted which drove me toward surgery. And when I saw my curve measured at 73 degrees one year and the following year measured at 80 degrees, I knew I had to take action. While I was not in pain, I found myself spending more and more time laying down and avoiding activities I previously enjoyed. I was growing old before my time as my collapsing spine was becoming increasingly unstable. Just being able to stand now without having to lean against something for support is a benefit of this surgery that has immensely improved the quality of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X