Range of motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range of motion

I'm a candidate for surgery and I'm waiting for a 2nd opinion. I have a 45 degree curve and my scoliosis is S shaped. I'm not too sure about how they would correct this, but for those of you who have had surgery...can you do sit ups and move as regularly as before?

thanks!
    Christina
    Christina
    Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
    Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
    Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Christina,

I also have an S curve, and now have 13 levels fused. No, sit ups are out for me from now on. Physical therapy is teaching me other ways to strengthen my back and abs. When you are fused, you lose flexibility in the fused area. I'm not the same as I used to be, but at 3 months post of (tomorrow), I can do anything I need to, but I might do it in a different way. Feel free to ask specific questions and we will give you answers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'm fused T2 to L2 and I currently cannot do sit-ups. I try every now and then but it never seems to work. I do leg exercise to help with my abs.
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose View Post
        I'm fused T2 to L2 and I currently cannot do sit-ups. I try every now and then but it never seems to work. I do leg exercise to help with my abs.
        Shell,

Couldn't it be harmful to even try to do a sit up? Maybe I'm thinking too much, but couldn't that put too much stress on the rods, causing the possibility of them breaking?

I do the leg exercises too at PT, but one other thing she has me do just amazes me. In the knees up position, hands crossed on chest, lift your head like you'd do a crunch, but JUST lift the head. I feel it the whole length of my abs. I can't believe it!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          Shell,

Couldn't it be harmful to even try to do a sit up? Maybe I'm thinking too much, but couldn't that put too much stress on the rods, causing the possibility of them breaking?

I do the leg exercises too at PT, but one other thing she has me do just amazes me. In the knees up position, hands crossed on chest, lift your head like you'd do a crunch, but JUST lift the head. I feel it the whole length of my abs. I can't believe it!
          It's not painful to try, but maybe I shouldn't. I just feel like I should be able to do this since I'm only fused to L2. Thanks for mentioning that exercise. I'm going to try it right now!
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Working...