PDA

View Full Version : Range of motion

chmesh
01-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm a candidate for surgery and I'm waiting for a 2nd opinion. I have a 45 degree curve and my scoliosis is S shaped. I'm not too sure about how they would correct this, but for those of you who have had surgery...can you do sit ups and move as regularly as before?

thanks!
Christina

debbei
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Christina,

I also have an S curve, and now have 13 levels fused. No, sit ups are out for me from now on. Physical therapy is teaching me other ways to strengthen my back and abs. When you are fused, you lose flexibility in the fused area. I'm not the same as I used to be, but at 3 months post of (tomorrow), I can do anything I need to, but I might do it in a different way. Feel free to ask specific questions and we will give you answers.

briarrose
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm fused T2 to L2 and I currently cannot do sit-ups. I try every now and then but it never seems to work. I do leg exercise to help with my abs.

debbei
01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm fused T2 to L2 and I currently cannot do sit-ups. I try every now and then but it never seems to work. I do leg exercise to help with my abs.

Shell,

Couldn't it be harmful to even try to do a sit up? Maybe I'm thinking too much, but couldn't that put too much stress on the rods, causing the possibility of them breaking?

I do the leg exercises too at PT, but one other thing she has me do just amazes me. In the knees up position, hands crossed on chest, lift your head like you'd do a crunch, but JUST lift the head. I feel it the whole length of my abs. I can't believe it!

briarrose
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Shell,

Couldn't it be harmful to even try to do a sit up? Maybe I'm thinking too much, but couldn't that put too much stress on the rods, causing the possibility of them breaking?

I do the leg exercises too at PT, but one other thing she has me do just amazes me. In the knees up position, hands crossed on chest, lift your head like you'd do a crunch, but JUST lift the head. I feel it the whole length of my abs. I can't believe it!

It's not painful to try, but maybe I shouldn't. I just feel like I should be able to do this since I'm only fused to L2. Thanks for mentioning that exercise. I'm going to try it right now!