booked surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booked surgery

good morning, I am booked to have the first part of my surgery on January 28th with Dr. Rand in Boston. The second part is scheduled for Feb. 10th. I will get whisked away to rehab a couple of days after the first surgery and brought back for the second part. I am really nervous about the surgery, the fear being either no improvement after surgery or that walking will be even more difficult than it already is. i believe i will be having T3 or 4 through the pelvis front and back. I have to go up to Boston on the 23rd to have my pre-screening done. Dr. Rand is in my insurance network while Dr. Boachie is not. This has been very difficult because of the insurance dilemma and I am hoping that Dr. Rand is the right choice. I have heard very good things about him and felt very good about him when I met him. It's just that Dr. Boachie is so over the top in terms of scoliosis surgery and i have yet to see or read anything negative about him. With Dr. Rand, mostly favorable but one bad and that then is what i fixate on. maybe i should get a lobotomy instead.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Congratulations on your decision

you know Avis, that was the hardest part for me. I had a similar dilema--Dr. Neuwirth, in my network, and Dr. Boachie--not. I had those same conversations in my head as you did. Things worked out well for me, and I am confident that they will for you too.

Jan 28th is right around the corner!! Please know that you are, and will be in my thoughts and prayers. And make sure you update us in between!! LOL about the lobotomy!!

Love,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wow Avis- that is soon for just booking- that is good- not nearly as much time to fret. I am sure all will go well for you. I could not walk far without pain before my surgery and now I can walk forever probably- sooooooo exciting! Also, the constant nagging pain I had even taking meds regularly is totally gone.- what a relief! Mine was T10 to Sacrum so not as high but I am sure you will do ok and love your new figure- I still can hardly recognize mine and that is GREAT!!!!! Good luck to you!
      Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
      Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
      Age 54
      T10 to Sacrum
      Curve 65 degrees
      Very straight now!!!

Comment

Wishing you the very best, Avis!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Avis, you’re in good hands. And I have all the faith that you will do very well. Before you know it, you’ll be reporting on all your post-op progress. Chris

Comment

Avis-- setting the date always seems like one of the biggest hurdles to cross. It sounds like you made a wise decision and that things will go well. Best wishes as you make preparations for that straighter and taller you!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X