booths and benches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booths and benches

Anyone have problems with sitting in booths? I have always had problems with booths and always ask for a table at a restaurant. The booths are usually too deep, with no lower back support, and the lack of arm rests just completely finishes me off.

Its funny how if a chair is not designed properly, I can tell immediatly!

Just wondering?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

hey Ed,
    I second that! Definitely have always had problems with booths.
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I can't stand orthopedic chairs. The padding always seems to be in the wrong place.

As for booths, as long as I can put my feet on something i am OK.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Its funny how if a chair is not designed properly, I can tell immediatly!

Ed
        I know exactly what you mean! Wherever I go, I will be looking around to try to find a 'suitable' chair - and they are very hard to come by in public places! But the type of chair that is best for me is anything that has a firm, flat base - and preferably a straight, flat back, although I usually don't sit right back in the chair. This means I can sit on my seatbones, which stops my pelvis tilting backwards and keeps the natural curve in my back - this is very much the 'Alexander Technique' way of sitting and it makes a huge difference to my pain levels. I still can't sit for long, but if I have the right chair, I can tolerate it for an hour or so. I can't sit in a soft, so-called 'comfy' armchair for 5 minutes!

The worst types of seat for me are anything soft and squishy or anything that has curves or padding - like tessa, I always find the padding is in the wrong place and forces your back into completely the wrong position.

Comment

Jamie has never complained about sitting in a booth. However, I know sitting in an auditorium chair is not comfy at all!

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I use my trusty inflatable pillow in deep chairs, and especially booths. Or I just scrunch up my winter jacket and sit on that. Part of my problem is that my legs are so short they rarely touch the ground when I'm sitting in a deep chair, so I could really use a pillow AND a footstool. I've become a very high-maitenance dinner-date......
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I do the same thing as Chris. If I don't have my little pillow with me that I usually carry around, I scrunch up my winter coat and use that behind my lower back in a booth.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

For me it's not whether it's a booth or a chair, it's if it is a hard surface to sit my butt on. For example the metal folding chair or a booth with no cushion to sit on or a wood or metal bench.\
                dd
                dd
                57 yr. old female
                Pembroke Pines, FL
                No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
                2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

Wow, we're all different. For me it's all about the surface that my back is leaning against. If it's cushiony I'm usually okay. If it's hard like wood or metal it's uncomfortable because the surface of my back is uneven and the protruding parts press into the hard surface. As I said in another thread, I'm glad they're doing anterior surgery differently these days so others won't have this problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X