scarring and bulging from anterior incision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scarring and bulging from anterior incision

Hello! I have some questions about the anterior approach, for those who have had this:

1) Did it hurt more than the posterior incision?

2) I was advised that they "cut" the muscles to get at the spine. Does this making sitting up and moving in general more difficult as from what I understand, we use those muscles alot to move/sit/lay, etc

3) In regards to scarring...I was advised that it will leave a nasty scar and also a possibility that when it heals, there could be some "bulging" of the muscle that is very noticable. Anyone have this issue? How bad is it?

4) Any issues after due to anethesia afterward due to being on your stomach for 4 hrs?

Any answers to these questions will be wonderful!! THANKS ALL!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Hey Lynn,

I only had posterior so I can't answer questions 1 through 3. But for #4, I was on my stomach for 9 hours. The only issue that I can think of is that according to my hubby, my face was all puffy and eyes squinty, but that was gone within a few days (by the time I saw myself in the mirror.)

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Lynn...

I did have anterior surgery, and I do have the bulge. I cannot wear shirts that are tucked in. Do a search (search link above) on "incisional hernia" and you'll find several threads on the topic.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lynn, I have a huge anterior incision and you can hardly see the scar -- my posterior scar is much more noticeable. And yes, it did hurt more than the posterior. It feels okay now, though.

I don't have a bulge, although the belly muscles around my incision are slack (I'll never have abs of steel....). Being thin helps.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
          Lynn, I have a huge anterior incision and you can hardly see the scar -- my posterior scar is much more noticeable. And yes, it did hurt more than the posterior. It feels okay now, though.

I don't have a bulge, although the belly muscles around my incision are slack (I'll never have abs of steel....). Being thin helps.
          Chris-
          I did a search & nothing came up. Is it possibly under something else? WOW! its THAT noticable that you cant tuck in a shirt??? Ugghhh......I change my mind....I dont need this surgery.....sounds overrated!! lol
          Lynn -30.... something
          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Linda....sorry

Sorry, I quoted Chris rather than Linda.....

Lets try this again......So, your scar is very noticable and do to the bulging, you are unable to tuck a shirt in?? YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Lynn -30.... something
            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Hi...

Here's a link for the search:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/searc...archid=1426607

If that doesn't work, just do a search on the word INCISIONAL.

I can physically tuck in a shirt, it just doesn't look great. And, yes, my scar is pretty obvious. My posterior scar is very thin and white. The anterior scar is thicker and red.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

"vertical" vs "flank" anterior incision

I talked to the general surgeon who was going to do the anterior opening, separating and closing and he discussed 2 types of anterior incisions. One is vertical, about an inch to the side of the belly button. The other is a "flank incision," that is off to the side and diagonal. He said that's the one that can get the hernia, and that there's no way to repair the hernia afterwards. I told him I really wanted the front incision if possible, and he was able to do it that way. It all depends on what parts of your back they need to get to and your own anatomy.

I do feel that my front incision hurt more, and also that there are little rippling muscle spasms along it. That's getting less as time goes on (I'm 7 weeks out). It's a little bit jagged--not as smooth as my back incision--but then my stomach is nothing to pose in a magazine with anyway! But I'm glad I'm not at risk for the hernia.
                Lisa MS
                age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
                Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
                Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
                Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

LynnMarie-

I had the posterior and then the anterior 4 weeks later. The front incision is painful as cutting thru those abdominal muscles is no piece of cake and you use them for every movement. The log roll helps a bunch with being able to get up and down etc.

My incision starts very low in the middle, goes straight up, curves to the side of my belly button and then continues straight up another couple of inches. I admit when I saw it, it looked worse than I anticipated. I am the one that had to have more surgeries and they reopened the same incision for the 2nd surgery on Nov. 22nd. I also had a 3rd surgery on Dec. 12th that is a totally different incision. This week I am finally noticing a great improvement in the abdominal muscle pain. - oh- my belly button area is numb. I don't know if it is temporary or permanent yet.

I can say now that with my walking the abdomin is tightening up and I think it will be ok shortly. I don't see where I will have any problem tucking in shirts, etc. pretty soon. My sister says I can tell people I was in a tornado and a 2 x 6 went thru me and I survived since I have scars front and back to prove it! HA!

Good luck to you. I hope we encourage rather than discourage you but for me it helped to have honest answers ahead. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go thru this process.
                  Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                  Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                  Age 54
                  T10 to Sacrum
                  Curve 65 degrees
                  Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaMS View Post
                    I talked to the general surgeon who was going to do the anterior opening, separating and closing and he discussed 2 types of anterior incisions. One is vertical, about an inch to the side of the belly button. The other is a "flank incision," that is off to the side and diagonal. He said that's the one that can get the hernia, and that there's no way to repair the hernia afterwards. I told him I really wanted the front incision if possible, and he was able to do it that way. It all depends on what parts of your back they need to get to and your own anatomy.

I do feel that my front incision hurt more, and also that there are little rippling muscle spasms along it. That's getting less as time goes on (I'm 7 weeks out). It's a little bit jagged--not as smooth as my back incision--but then my stomach is nothing to pose in a magazine with anyway! But I'm glad I'm not at risk for the hernia.
                    Lisa - THANKS a bunch for this info....he didnt mention 2 different anterior approaches...just that I would possibly get this hernia....so I would have to assume its the flank cut. Why do I have a taste for steak now?! I will talk w/him on Wednesday before Im sliced & diced! Hopefully we can do other other!? Have a great weekend!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Hi Lynn Marie,
                      I had my surgery(ant/post) 2 years plus & my anterior scar is pretty much healed but I still have the bulging tummy on the left (incision) side. I believe it has come down a bit as I've noticed photos of myself & it seemed when I had a tucked in shirt, it was more pronounced last year. I asked my physical therapist what I can do about it & he says more leg lifts!! I just cannot hold my tummy in on that side! I will check with him next week & see if there is anything else to help it...I guess that's a small price to pay for the rest of my body working better! Lynne

Comment

Working...
                      X