Im all Pre-Op'd and ready to rock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im all Pre-Op'd and ready to rock!

Hello! Just wanted to let everyone know that I had my pre-op apt today. Wow.....what a day! Took about 5 1/2 hrs for everything. Got new xrays...and in less than 1 1/2 yrs, I gained another 2 degrees in my lumbar curve...ughhh....just one more reason to have this bloddy surgery I guess. The Thorasic stayed the same which is good. Dr Tribus said that due to the growth & the increased degen.in T4-T5 & the onset of arthritus there, he def. wants to do the anterior and posterior. Yike....from what he says, the anterior is pretty harsh. Said they cut thru the weaved muscles (stomach?) to get to the front of the spine and they will never be back to what they were post op. He says that a lot of people end up having some "buldging" over the scared area? He said after a year, if its still there, he would go in and "smooth it out" for me. How nice of him! lol He also warned me that that is a more painful incision as well. So, now Im lookin at 3 scars....back, front & right hip for the bone graph! This is sounding more and more fun everyday! So, the fusion will officially be L4 thru T4. He says he is hoping that the L5 will just slowly move its way back to place & wants to save that one for me, again, how thoughtful! lol Had the EKG, blood work, meeting w/the anethesologist(more fun stuff...ughh) & and 6 more xrays. Im assuming w/all of the xrays Ive had over the last few year, Im going to either start glowing or I will wake up one day and have an extra eyeball!

Well, 6 days....ok 5 1/2 days left to go....Im ok right now....nights are very hard for me as that is when its quiet....mind races, no sleep....ughh..fun...OH! And nothing for anxiety as "they dont like to give that, its not good for you" What the......Im pretty sure they can give me something to calm my nerves!! I guess thats what wine and captain morgan are for then! lol BUMMER!!!!

Just thought Id check in w/my Scoli friends. I will post again when its closer to the day.....in panic Im sure.... Hope all is well....Bye
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Oh Lynn,

I know how you feel counting the hours like you are now. It will be here and over before you know it, I promise! Prior to my surgery, I was measuring my % excited vs. % scared. What a mix of emotions.

Keep yourself positive. So many of us will have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Will someone be able to update us so that we don't have to worry about you?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

while Im out

Yes. I will have my hubby Paul update everyone after surgery is over, etc. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers --much appreciated and needed!!!
      Lynn -30.... something
      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Thanks for having hubby update us. So, your a/p surgery will all be in one day?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynn

I will be praying for you and I am sure it will all go as planned and you will be on the other side soon. Best of luck with you surgery.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Lynn,

You will soon be on the other side! I'll be praying for you.

I can't believe they didn't give you any anti-anxiety medication! I was just looking through my medicine cabinet to find the name of the one that was given to me but I must have thrown it out. I'm pretty sure it was lorazepam. My family doctor prescribed it for me and said it was what was normally given before medical procedures. I think I was given 10 pills (0.5 mg)and I only took 4. The morning of the surgery, the nurses gave me a Xanax which worked great. No, they're not good for you (what medication is?), but it's not long term. I would call your surgeon and ask what he thought if you really think you need something.

Shell
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Oh dear, Lynne. It would help so much if you could have something for your anxiety. I'd be questioning that decision. It's ok for him, he's not facing this surgery!

I am already on anti-anxiety meds, have been for months. It's helped tremendously. I'll take whatever I can get to get through this thing as smoothly as possible.

You will certainly be on my mind in 5.5 days and looking forward to your husband's update. All the very best, Lynne!

Today I phoned my surgeon and asked when the pre-op tests would be done as we are planning a two week holiday, returning 2 weeks before surgery. I was told I'd be admitted the day before surgery and pre-op tests would be done then.

I asked what would be done...blood tests, ECG and a chat to a physician and the anaesthetist.

As I'm an hour and a half drive North of the hospital, this suits me fine.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Lynn
                just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and wanted to wish you all the best for your coming op - I just wish there was more to say to calm your nerves but I guess just 'good luck' and remind you that you will soon be 'on the other side' - recovery!!!
                Have you thought about taking some kind of herbal, homeopathic remedy - we have Kalms here in the UK?
                You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers - and I look forward to Paul's updates....
                deep breaths.....
                Louisse
                Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Oh, Lynn - I really feel for you in the close lead-up to the surgery! It is intensely nerve-wracking, & I'd definitely ask your surgeon to prescribe something to help you through these last few days. It sounds as though you're in skilled hands - that are connected to a thoughtful, considerate heart. What a great combination

Thanks for organising to update us....I'll be thinking of you & your family over the coming days, & wish you a smooth surgery & recovery. You're right that it's a big surgery (surgeries?), but I'm sure you will do great. Remember, doctors are always obliged to provide the "worst case scenarios" - because yes, they occasionally happen, but for the vast majority of people, it's pretty bump free surgery

Re. natural anti-anxiety meds - please check with your doc first, as even natural meds can have side-effects & interactions with other meds you may be on now &/or post-op. The one that comes to mind in particular is possible minor blood-thinning effects, which are common for many medications - natural & synthetic. None of my surgeons have ever agreed to operate (spinal & otherwise) unless I stop all blood-thinning meds (mostly ibuprofen & dicflonec for me) at least a couple of weeks in advance.

Best of wishes to you. Do something special & relaxing for you....

Take care. I'll be thinking of you & eagerly awaiting an update

Comment

You're in my thoughts and prayers too. The last week is such a tough time emotionally, so my advice is to keep busy doing things you enjoy. It's time to pamper yourself if you can... Soon you'll be on the other side and in the early stages of recovery. You'll do fine. I'm so glad your hubby will let us know... and I'll be looking forward to the time when you can tell us all about it. Big hugs, Susie
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

2 for one special!

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                      Thanks for having hubby update us. So, your a/p surgery will all be in one day?
                      Debbe, yes, anterior 1st, flip me over and start on the back incision. Seems like a lot all in one shot, but I guess I can get it all over w/at once then!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose View Post
                        Hi Lynn,

You will soon be on the other side! I'll be praying for you.

I can't believe they didn't give you any anti-anxiety medication! I was just looking through my medicine cabinet to find the name of the one that was given to me but I must have thrown it out. I'm pretty sure it was lorazepam. My family doctor prescribed it for me and said it was what was normally given before medical procedures. I think I was given 10 pills (0.5 mg)and I only took 4. The morning of the surgery, the nurses gave me a Xanax which worked great. No, they're not good for you (what medication is?), but it's not long term. I would call your surgeon and ask what he thought if you really think you need something.

Shell

Shell _ yea...I know, I thought for sure they would give me some valium. I actually found some from about 8 months ago, when I pulled 2 shoulder muscles. Maybe I will start taking 1/2 of one of those as they are 10 mg, which would knock me on my behind! lol
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          Oh dear, Lynne. It would help so much if you could have something for your anxiety. I'd be questioning that decision. It's ok for him, he's not facing this surgery!

I am already on anti-anxiety meds, have been for months. It's helped tremendously. I'll take whatever I can get to get through this thing as smoothly as possible.

You will certainly be on my mind in 5.5 days and looking forward to your husband's update. All the very best, Lynne!

Today I phoned my surgeon and asked when the pre-op tests would be done as we are planning a two week holiday, returning 2 weeks before surgery. I was told I'd be admitted the day before surgery and pre-op tests would be done then.

I asked what would be done...blood tests, ECG and a chat to a physician and the anaesthetist.

As I'm an hour and a half drive North of the hospital, this suits me fine.
                          Jennifer - thanksfor the kind words....Like I told Shell, I found some left over valium from a muscle pull from about 8 months ago I may decide to take. Shhhhh.....I wont tell if you dont! lol

Im glad you are able to take something now. March will be here before you know it. It was about 6 weeks for me, when I started counting down the days & saying to myself "ok, this is the last time I will be able to do this w/out metal in my back"....it annoyed the snott out of my family & friends Im sure, but you just cant help it!!

You too will be fine. Keep smiling, even if its fake!!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

thanks to all

again....a THANK YOU to everyone to has followed me this far & for the kind words & prayers. It truly does mean so very much.(as I sit here and cry as I type.....fyi, Im a real sap! lol)

I plan on pampering myself today actually. I have a "1/2 day spa package" that Im taking advantage of this afternoon. A nice massage, facial, pedi mani....I know I will have to take the pretty polish off on Wednesday but who care! My best friend said she would repaint my toes for me when I was passed out in the hospital!

I also have (what feels like) a ton of things to get squared away. CLothes to wash ( my jammies and sweats) clean my house for when my Aunt stays here to take care of Tyler (12) and Zackary (4). I wanted to print out some pics to frame to take w. me to the hospital. I cant stand the fact I will bea way from my babies for 5 days!! Ugghh!! Although they will come see me while Im there.

I have my 2 yr old cousins bday party tomorrow and my cousin just bought a kareoke machine, so I was advised that now that Im not going to be all med'ed up I can enjoy a drink or 2 and sing! Oh dear.....trust me, that DO NOT want me to sing! lol

Thanks again for listening and Im sure I will post again b/4 the big day!
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, Lynn. I had considered seeing Dr. Tribus myself since my family who cared for me following my surgery live in Madison and it would certainly have been easier on them if I had my surgery in Madison. Once they met my surgeon though, they fully understood why I chose him. My sister-in-law who is in the medical field was especially fond of him. In the end, everything worked out. I’ll keep you in my prayers. Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X