Cost of drugs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of drugs...

While I was away on vacation in Canada to visit my mother I ran out of Gabapentin, but I went and saw a doc and found that my medical card still worked. (I was prepared to pay) So I saw a doc and he filled out a new perscription for it. When I paid for it I was shocked. It was only $75 (for 100 tablets), which in US dollars is about $63. Since I lost my insurance I've been paying $129 US for 90 tablets.

Why is it so much more expensive here in the US than in Canada for the same pills? This really irks me.
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

This is something that's been in the news on and off for several years. Here's an AARP issue brief that answers your question (and them some!):

http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/health/ib62_can_rx.pdf
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda! This does have some good info, although I'm thinking it may be a little dated. Has anything changed with the perscription drug plans here in the US? This study seems to be before that went into effect, which would change some of the data around.

I did find it worrying on one issue it talked about in that the US is the country that uses the most perscription drugs in the world. We have 305 million people in a world populated by 6.7 billion and we use the most drugs. This isn't good.
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Postop xray

Comment

qikdraw,

have you tried using costco/sams club/BJ's pharmacies?

You don't have to be a member at any of those to get meds there and the costs even w/o insurance are much cheaper. Costo gives you a discount in addition to the already low cost if you are a member. A precription I filled there b/c my insurance only allows 12 pills vs the 60 I was prescribed was 60 something before I became a member and when I purchased a membership it was 50 something. I think retail price of that drug odasetron ODT (generic zofran) is nearly 10 times that w/o insurance.

Though the US is 'over-precribed' I wondere if some of that number should be compared directly to other countries since we have tougher drug regulations than most. Lots of drugs that are over the counter/behind the counter in other countries are prescription here so if those are included, the number might be significantly skewed. Tylenol 1 are behind the counter in canada,... anything w/ even a smidgin of narcotic are schedule II in the US...
        Last edited by green m&m; 01-08-2009, 06:13 PM.
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

BJ's in the North East no longer has pharmacies. I get all my generics at Hannaford's (grocery chain out of Maine) at $10.99 for a three month supply. My problem is getting my spine Dr. to write a three months prescription for gabapentin. Anyway, there are plenty of places to get inexpensive prescriptions in the USA. I know Wallmart sells a lot of prescriptions at a reduced rate. Hope this helps. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Coscto is a good idea, I'll have to check them out and see how much cheaper it will be.
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Postop xray

Comment

Working...
            X