Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a check up- progress report

Hi all~

I saw my back Dr. last Friday. Things are doing very well. My complications really set me back on concentrating on my back until now. I am now walking again and since I can drive I now I have gone to the Y and walked a mile 3 times. I will do this everyday. I know a mile doesn't sound like much but I just set that for a starting goal. It dawned on my today that I hadn't been able to walk a mile for a good 8 months before my surgery due to pain and now it just isn't even a push- WOW- I think the surgery is a success. My abdominal area is still pretty painful having been opened 3 times so I am still on pain meds and am totally ok with the idea- much less but still needed. I see the Dr. that performed my last 2 surgeries on Monday. The plan is for me to return to work on Feb. 2nd. I am happy with my progress even though I got set back in the middle of this process. I know a mantra on here has been "each has their own time frame" and I totally believe that and we should be happy for each persons progress but not let it depress us if it isn't as fast for us. This site is wonderful!!!

I hope all had a good New Years- my Christmas and New Years was filled with gratitude of being home to celebrate them!!!!

Nanc
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Hi Nancy Joy,

I'm so glad you updated. I've been thinking of you lately. Thank goodness things settled down for you and you're doing better now. And don't feel bad that you're starting with a mile. You will build up in no time! I can't believe you're going back to work already after all you've been through. I'm hoping to stay out till April, but we'll see.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Ditto Debbe's post.

A mile sounds like a great start to me. You must be doing extremely well to even be thinking about work so soon.

All the best for the remainder of your recovery!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi NancyJoy,

So good to hear from you and I am glad you are finally on the road to recovery. I think a mile is wonderful. I remember starting out at one quarter of a mile at a speed of about one mile per hour. It does get better. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks to all. Today I have stayed awake all day to see if it will help me sleep thru the night. I sure have trouble doing that- just wake up and can't get back to sleep. (course, I have been taking a terrific nap everyday). I played the piano for about an hour today. Felt great while I was doing it but could tell after- oh- training those new muscles!! Nothing unbearable by any means. All of a sudden my abdomen is feeling much better and not hurting when I tense the muscles. Thank goodness!!! I am excited about my progress. I plan on a 3 day trip the 16th, 17th and 18th to a 3 day horse sale in Oklahoma. It is a grueling tradition we have and I am trying to get some vacation from my time off. We will have a hotel room I can go to when it gets too taxing. A week ago it was looking like a "not very good" idea but it is looking more feasible each day now.
          Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
          Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
          Age 54
          T10 to Sacrum
          Curve 65 degrees
          Very straight now!!!

Comment

Working...
          X