Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many here have had a costoplasty / thoracoplasty after Spinal Fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many here have had a costoplasty / thoracoplasty after Spinal Fusion?

Just wondering how many people here have had a costoplasty / thoracoplasty after their spinal fusion?
    Aged 32
    Surgery in Exeter, UK on 11th November 2008

I had it at the same time and they used the bone from my ribs for the spinal fusion.
    My hump was greatly reduced from the 100 degree one I had as a teen.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thoracoplasty

I spoke w/my surgeon Monday and decided to do this...are you having one as well? Just wondered if it was really better than having bone taken from the pelvic area...
      Becky-29 New Market, TN
      Spinal Fusion 3/17/09
      T3 to L3-73 degree curve to a 20ish

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

Comment

I had extensive thoracoplasty in 1983 with 6 ribs resected on the right side to reduce the thoracic hump and again in l987 had 3 more ribs resected. I had a spinal fusion previously without instrumentation in 1961. The surgeons tried to straighten the 95 degree curve in 1983 and another attempt in 2008, but had to abandon the attempts due to spine stiffness and problems with the neuro monitoring. Anyway, while I still had large curves, I appeared much straighter due to the thoracoplasty. The ribs grew back straight. I often joke about my new baby back ribs. However, I have breathing problems with severe restrictive lung disease. My pulmonologist thinks the extensive thoracoplasty may have contributed to this in addition to my severe scoliosis. My self esteem, work and social life improved considerably after the thoracoplasty surgery. I have never regretted my decision to have the thoracoplasty.

Comment

Working...
        X