Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year and a half post-op

Hi all --

In case there are folks out there who feel they're having a slow recovery....
    It reallly has taken me a full year and a half to feel good again, albeit with limitations. It seems to me that in general, the anterior approach is much tougher to recover from than posterior surgery only....and I can't imagine that my torso will EVER feel normal again, although the discomfort is vastly improved from what it was.

At this point, I can finally cut my own toenails again (buh-bye, podiatrist!!), and I don't have to lug my pillow everywhere I go. My weak leg is probably at 90 percent by now, so I can finally get up off the floor or from a squatting position. I'm also at the point where I can make it through the day without taking Tylenol or Advil, although I do take something on the days I work in the office. I still feel pressure and a lot of stiffness in my lower back where the fusion ends, but I can pretty much ignore it at this point.

I would say I started noticing a dramatic improvement just in the last month, so I'm confident that I'll continue to improve.

Best of all, I can stand and sit for longer periods of time than I could before surgery....the horrible aches I used to get in the middle of my back, where the curve started, are gone.

Recovering from this surgery has without a doubt been the biggest physical and emotional challenge of my life. It kicked my a** !!!!!

Happy new year to all...
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hi Chris

Glad to hear your feeling good even if it took 18 mos. Yes that anterior cut was fun, and yes it kicks your a** !!! Its great to be done with it, finally.

My doctors are worried that I'm doing so good that I'm going to screw things up doing something wild. I need a jacket airbag with Helium so if I crash, I can just pull the ripcord and rise like a balloon.

Don't ask how I'm going to get down, Ill figure that out when it happens. LOL

Yes it will be a happy New Year!
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Chris,
      I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. It gives many of us hope that there will be more improvement as time goes on. Thanks for sharing. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Chris,

I'm so glad that you're doing better. When did you start back to work? Did you start back full time? How'd that go? I'd like to wait until April if I could

Isn't it wonderful how that 'horrible ache' is gone now? I had it too in my lower back if I stood around too much.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks, guys...

Hi Debbe -- I started a part-time job about 14 months after surgery and although I was very sore for the first month or so, I'm totally used to it now. Bear in mind that I had an unusual complication, nerve damage in my right leg, which hobbled me for a long time. It sounds like you're doing great.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
          X