Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how difficult was your stay at home after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how difficult was your stay at home after surgery?

Share your stories with me. I am to be fused C7 to L1. I have a 50 degrees kyphosis. Do I need someone here? What was the most difficult for you?

Hi....

Everyone is different, so it's really hard to know in advance. I've known people who have had relatively easy surgeries, who came home and felt they needed help for months. I've also known people who have had huge surgeries, and who went home right after being released, and who didn't need help.

If you have the option, having a friend or relative stay with you for 2-3 weeks after your release would almost always be a helpful thing.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had my parents here for 8 weeks after the surgery. It was a nice to have especially since I have 3 kids and I wasn't driving yet. I'd say having them here was absolutely necessary for me for about 1 month. In the very beginning it was like I was an infant. All I did was SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP, eat a little and go to the bathroom. LOL It was probably due to all the meds.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I would suggest having someone with you for at least the first few weeks. I have a husband, teenage son, and adult daughter (who lives an hour away), but we still had some family for 2 weeks--my dad and then my in-laws--to help with housework & taking care of me, etc so my husband could work.

We also created a caring network of family and friends. It's based on the Share the Care model (www.sharethecare.org), and we have had over 60 people so far bring meals, do errands, clean house, lend me ergonomic chairs (very good for sitting after surgery--you kind of kneel on it and there's no back), and just visit. One friend came over and taught me to knit.

When you come home, you will be a little like an infant--lots of sleeping, trouble with pooping, maybe not even able to wipe yourself. You'll need help in the shower, and drying off and getting dressed. I found that changing positions in bed was pretty challenging, even after I was walking and getting around well. It's nice to have someone who can put pillows behind your back when you're lying on your side, to keep you on your side.

With a curve as high as yours is, you won't be able to lift your arms much at all, which will make towel-drying or combing your hair nearly impossible at first. You'll also have a long section fused, so that will make it much harder to bend at all.

I am also part of a Share the Care team for a friend of mine with severe MS. I've been part of her team (80 people) for 2 years, and it showed me how much people like to help--even people who may barely know you. I'm the kind of person who always felt I had to do things myself and not ask for help, and I made a conscious decision to learn from my friend's care team and just welcome the help. It's been an amazing, healing journey, and I think it has contributed to my steady and fairly quick recovery.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk more.

Wishing you the best,
        Lisa
        Lisa MS
        age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
        Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
        Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
        Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

Working...
        X