drving limitations for ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drving limitations for ever?

I am to be fused C7 to L1. The doctor says I SHOULD be able to drive. He said I will have 10 to 15 percent less neck rotation. Anyone have any limitations like this? I do not think I can live without driving forever.

Caliber

Welcome to the forum. You should be ok with driving. I started driving at about 6 weeks and I too was worried about it. The first thing is getting into the seat without whacking your head. LOL It took me about 1 month before I had the motions perfected.

You will be able to twist and look out the side rear window. I know it sounds simple but it really is. I wouldn't worry about this at all. I have absolutely NO driving issues at all with 16 levels fused.

Yesterday, I went 4 wheeling in a highly modified jeep.(rock crawler) The floor height on this vehicle is at my armpits. Now getting into this vehicle took me a little as I had to climb up the rim, get on the tire, and jimmy over into the seat. Now this thing is quite a bouncy ride, in fact it is the definition of the word bounce!! I was a little worried about this but everything is great!

I have hardly any limitations and have permission to lift up to 100 lbs. I'm 11 months post after 2 long surgeries(25 hrs) and yes recovery was a bitch but boy am I glad I did it. My x-ray is on my first thread.

When is your surgery?

Regards
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I have heard that some people with cervical fusion use those extension mirrors (like for pulling a trailer), so that they don't have to look beyond their side mirrors. Might be worth looking into.

I'm like Ed, wondering when you have your surgery? Do you have a date yet?

Thinking of you,
      Lisa
      Lisa MS
      age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
      Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
      Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
      Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

I have been driving for over 30 years since my surgery. My daughter took her test 1 1/2 years post-op. She told the examiner about her back and said she could not twist around to look when backing up. She told the examiner that she uses her mirrors. The examiner said she had to turn around when backing up. So my daughter twisted a little, then used her mirrors, ran over a couple of cones, but passed her test!
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
        X