Update at 6 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update at 6 weeks

Hello all, and sorry for not being online for so long. Thought I'd give an update. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks post-op. I'm down to a very low dosage on pain meds, and have been out of the house quite a bit lately with no problems. It's been cold, windy and snowy here lately, so no walking outside. But I walked the mall a little and I do laps inside my house. Walking feels good. Sitting is still uncomfortable for long periods, but I now have one of those ergonomic chairs (with no back, that you sort of kneel on), and that is the BEST!!! I can sit for a long time in that. I went to church last week and today, and I brought that chair and was able to last through the service. I can also do laundry (using my grabber and squatting with my legs to get up and down) and fix something to eat (not cook a whole dinner).

I just had 12 members of my family here for Christmas, and they all took over (with my husband and adult daughter doing huge amounts of work too) and did the cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc. It was wonderful to be with them but not worried very much regarding hosting them. I wasn't able to hold my 6-month old niece (she's 16 lbs), but I was able to cuddle with her in my bed--me on my side and her lying next to me. We fell asleep together like that a couple of times.

Some of the problems:
    1) I have been moody lately, and yesterday totally exploded in anger at my husband. I think that frequent visitors and lots of help had been buoying my spirits, and now that everyone has left, I am feeling down.

2) I am tired of having other people put on my socks, pick up stuff that I drop, stay with me while I take a shower, etc. I have started to do most of these things myself now, because I just feel like I want to. But my family thinks I shouldn't, and sometimes I over do it and then have shooting pains especially in the top and bottom of my fusion.

3) My surgeon's office is very non-responsive. They don't return calls, even when it was about tapering down on meds. So I went to my primary care doc, who says she's glad to follow me and that Dr. Wong, while an excellent surgeon who does a great job, doesn't usually follow up well.

4) Getting PT arranged has been a pain. Isn't this standard after this surgery? When do you usually start PT?

5) I'm tired of feeling stiff and sore all the time, and of being limited. I'm tired of having such a hard time changing position in bed (my husband is back in our bed now, which I really wanted, and now I have to get out of bed to change position).

The good things:

1) My Care Team: Already, over 60 people have either brought food, visited, cleaned my house, run errands, or other things for me. I have never felt so supported and loved.

2) My lack of complications: Since I got home, I really have had a pretty steady though gradual recovery.

3) Knitting: I learned how to knit after surgery, and am knitting a "healing afghan" that will remind me of this journey. I find it very relaxing, and I can listen to recorded books or talk to people while doing it.

4) This Scoliosis community: Even though I haven't been on for awhile, just knowing you're all there really helps.

Thanks.
    Lisa
    Lisa MS
    age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
    Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
    Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
    Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Lisa,

It's good to hear how well you're doing. About PT, I didn't start until 2 months postop. I'll be going 3x per week for 8 weeks. Prior to that, I was told to walk 30 minutes per day, which I did at the mall if it was too cold outside.

My surgery was 10/15, and in just the last few weeks, I am able to change position in bed without getting up. Finally, sleeping on my side is comfortable again. Before this last few weeks, I'd try for a few minutes and have to go back to laying on my back because it just didn't feel right. I don't feel quite as stiff and sore now that I don't have to be in the same position all night long.

Keep up the good work!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lisa--

Thanks for the update. My son 13 yo was fused a few days before you were. I appreciate your describing the frustration you have about having people pick up things that you drop, etc. Although he is long off meds, moving around a little more than you, changing position in bed on his own, etc., I know he gets frustrated because he's not allowed to bend. It is good to hear your perspective because it helps me understand where he is right now. His teenaged body is healing fast, but I think some of the effects of restrictions could be the same. I appreciate your sharing.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Working...
      X