Can you still feel the hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you still feel the hardware?

I have a question for everyone post op. I am 19 months post op and I still feel the hardware and lately it really bugs me. Does everyone else still feel there hardware? If not at what stage did you stop feeling it? It had gotten a lot better around one year post op and now I feel as if it bothers me with every move I make again just like right after surgery. Its almost as if I can feel it moving around in my back and I know thats not possible.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Hi Patty...

I've known quite a few people who have complained about being able to feel the hardware relatively quickly after surgery, and very few (if any) ever get over that feeling.

It's not impossible for your hardware to move, so you should probably get that checked out. If the implants continue to bother you, you can have them removed.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hardware

I can hit my right shoulder blade on one of the rods in my back, but I never feel any movement in them.

I suggest checking with your doctor, and having your xrays compared. My scoliosis did continue to worsen even after surgery, by about 10 to 15 degrees, but odd feeling in your back are something to be monitored.

Good Luck.
      Tessa

Comment

Patty,

I've been able to feel a lump since surgery (as can others) at my bottom (L1) attachment point. I'm coming up on 11 months post-op, and doubt it will go away. NEVER would I consider a reopening to remove it unless I HAVE to. I'll just work around it ;-).

I have never felt my hardware "moving", however, and that includes after horseback riding (thanks, GingerW! ... Sharon, you would have been proud of me in a dressage saddle vs. the Western I know - LOL), sliding into bases, etc. I'm with Tessa that you should have things x-rayed ... just to look. Secure hardware should NOT move.

Maybe it's nerve quirks ... or something that mimics a feeling of hardware migration?

Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Patty,

I'm almost 6 weeks out from a/p fusion T8 to L3. I have not yet felt any hardware, but I've been on pain meds--but I'm tapering off and on low dose now, so I think I would feel it. I have soreness, numbness in places, and occasional sharp pains, but no sense of feeling the hardware. If I hadn't seen the pictures, I wouldn't believe it's in there!

I agree with the group, you should get it checked out if it feels funny--especially this long after surgery.

I hope you're able to get some answers and some relief!
          Lisa MS
          age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
          Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
          Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
          Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

I am a year post op and I can feel my hardware on cold nasty weather days or when there is an abrupt atmospheric pressure change. It isn't a feeling of the hardware moving but of an achyness in the sacrum. I don't feel it so much in the vertebrae. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I don't think I've felt my hardware at all. Of course, I'm still taking 2 pain pills per day, I don't know--once I'm off them completely if I will feel any hardware.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by tessa View Post
                My scoliosis did continue to worsen even after surgery, by about 10 to 15 degrees, but odd feeling in your back are something to be monitored.

Is this normal? I was under the impression that my curves wouldn't get any worse after my surgery as long as I fuse successfully.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I still feel my hardware, and sometimes I feel like it moves, but I am only 4 weeks (as of today!) out of surgery. I actually felt hardware where there wasn't any at first. It felt like the rods twisted all the way around to the front of my thighs, but about a week ago that wore off and I hardly take any meds anymore (my spine was very quickly collapsing before surgery, so the pain is actually better!) but I do feel my rods pretty much all the time. Sometimes when I am working out (ie. walking) I can get out of my head enough to not think about it, but its always there.
                  25 years old
                  double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                  nearly perfect correction
                  fused t-10 to pelvis
                  with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                  Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                  Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                  Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                  Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, I had x-rays done by a GP 3 days ago and everything looks good, but my pain is only getting worse. I went to another GP this morning (mine is on maternity leave) and he feels I need to go back to the spine surgeon. I chose to go to my local spine surgeon as I could not possibly make the car ride to the surgeon who performed my surgery. The local surgeon can at least run any necessary tests before I make the trip back to the surgeon who performed the surgery. Wish me luck as I am now back on Percocet, Flexeril and Motrin 800 and I was told to stay in bed for a minimum of 4 days.

Thanks,
                    Patty 51 years old
                    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                    Posterior T3- L4
                    Pre surgery curves
                    T-53degrees
                    L-38degrees
                    and a severe side shift to the right.
                    Post surgery curves
                    Less than 10 degrees
                    Surgery April, 2006
                    C4 - C6

Comment

Patty-- I am so sorry about all this! It makes me wonder if that time you got knocked over at school if something got whacked enough to cause this. Keep us posted. In the meantime, please know I'm thinking of you.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I am 6 months post-op with instrumentation from T-1 to S-1. I feel the hardware frequently. It does not hurt and does not bother me. It feels like I'm sitting back and feeling the vertical rungs on a chair, a dull feeling but I know they're there. Mentally, I consider the rods my friends. They support me, keep me from getting worse as I age, and keep me a little straighter than I was before. Still have big curves though.

Comment

Working...
                        X