what approach is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what approach is better?

Here in Serbia we have a hospital which deals with orthopedic issues only. It includes "A Spinal Centre" where different surgeries are performed to address different spinal problems. There I was in hospital being prepared for a surgery 18 years ago and didtn't have it. 18 years later I go there again interested in the state of my scoliosis. The doctor (the same as 18 years before) didn't even send me for an x-rays and said I should undergo surgery. After me insisting on making some x-rays, he sends me to do them. He took a look at them and said he "thought" the curves are the same as 18 years before and if I decided to have a surgery to come some other day to make some "corrective" x-rays.
    I wasn't satisfied with this at all. Not that I expected him to tell me everything was OK, that my spine fine, but to pay some more attention to a patient as a person (the three of us, patients, are in the office at the same time, without our clothes from the waist up, he doesn't talk to the patient but to his assistant nurse who writes what he dictates to her) I've put myself to the list of the waiting surgery patients!
    Just to say that there, in that hopsital, patient do not get up for walking untill 6th or 7th day after surgery and do not go home until 21st day after being admitted to the hospital.
    Accidentally I came across a women from my town, who has suffered from scoliosis since her childhood, too. But her original diagnosis is hemivertebrae, then scoliosis, and some fracture of the vertebrae.She had been to the hopsital where I was the first time, spent 15 days there, and they sent her home without any treatment.
    she found another dcotor, in anopther hopsital. he's a neurosurgeon and a spinal surgeon. having examined her x-rays and MRI, he momentarily came to conclusion what should be done! i saw that docotr and he'swaiting my x-rays after the 5th january. In the other hsopital the patients are home 5th of surgery, they are up for a walk 2nd of surgery! I like this a lot!
    But I'm not sure what guidelines to follow to choose the right surgeon?
    The first one, an orthopedist, performs scoliosis surgeries mostly on children and teenagers while he also performs other spinal surgeries on adults.
    The second, a neurosurgeon and a spinal surgeon, mostly performs surgeries on adults. I don't know how many scoliosis surgeries he has performed.
    So, I don't know who should I turn to? it 's even more difficult to make a decision because of the the different approaches to the treatment of scoliosis and postoperative recovery.....and both of the surgeons are the most reputed ones in my country!

Any help is more than welcome!!!!
    29 y/o female
    diagnosed with scoliosis when 11
    thoracic curve about 45, lumbar about 33
    wore TSLO brace very short
    ignored the problem till Nov 2008
    no problems, no pain but started thinking about future because of my two sons (4.5 and 2.5 years)!
    I had new X-rays taken on 5 Jan
    Soon I'll now how many degrees there are in my curves...

The first doctor you saw may be a good surgeon, but he is stuck in surgical proceedures from 50 years ago. Most people would be worried if a doctor didn't take x-rays, or care to talk to them. And could you imagine being in a hospital for 21 days, away from your children. You may not being doing much the first month, but at least the can lie in bed with you and read books.
    Your second doctor is practicing by today's standards. You get up and moving and out in 5 days.
    I don't know much about your country's health care system, but if you can get the second doctor to help you I'd go with that. He seems more knowledgable, and who knows, maybe you won't have to do anything.
    Good Luck,
    Emily

Comment

Dear Anchie,

Here in the US, the standard even for an extensive fusion is 4 or 5 days in the hospital, with people getting up and standing/walking the day after surgery. I had complications (my blood pressure was dangerously low) so I stayed in the intensive care unit for a couple of days, and they did NOT get me up because of all the complications I was having. But I got up as soon as I was in a regular room (3rd day), and was walking & sitting up on the 4th day. I went home on the 7th day. There is a risk of pneumonia if you are lying in bed for more than a day or two. I had fluid building up in my lungs, and had to work very hard with my deep breathing and sitting/walking to get rid of the fluid so that it wouldn't become pneumonia.

I would go with the surgeon/hospital that has you stay a shorter time--it sounds like they are more modern in their approach.

Let us know how it goes!
      Lisa MS
      age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
      Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
      Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
      Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

thanx a lot for your repies

@ecnw,
        @lisaMS,

thanx for replying.

I personally think the way you do, that the shorter stay in hospital after surgery is indicative od a more modern approach. The definite decision waits for me to be made afer the 5th Jan when the surgeon takes a look at my fresh x-rays.

The only problem might be the money....
        It costs a lot to have a scoliosis surgery "in a modern way" here.....
        Last edited by Anchie; 01-02-2009, 11:41 AM.
        29 y/o female
        diagnosed with scoliosis when 11
        thoracic curve about 45, lumbar about 33
        wore TSLO brace very short
        ignored the problem till Nov 2008
        no problems, no pain but started thinking about future because of my two sons (4.5 and 2.5 years)!
        I had new X-rays taken on 5 Jan
        Soon I'll now how many degrees there are in my curves...

Comment

Working...
        X