Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Recent Op' - Details!

hey everyone,

Thank you for your kind words - everyone on here is so supportive!

Well, here are the details of my recent op -

All went well - I am fused from T3 to L3. When I came round they gave me a little too much Morphine and I stopped breathing apparently! So they put me on some other pain killers which were not anyway near as good!

I was in hospital from Tuesday til Sunday - I must've done everything they wanted me to. I have to say that the hospital visit was horrible (it may not be for you though!) I couldn't wait to leave.

I have definately found that after 2 weeks it's like you reach they 'next phase' both physically and mentally. I have tried to be as lazy as possible - it's been HARD doing nothing though.

It is exactly 2 weeks and 1 day since I had my operation - and at this stage I am able to sit up for around 45 mins without too much pain. I usually lie down most of the time though.

Yesterday I went into town for breakfast and a little walk around the shops - DON'T DO IT AT THIS STAGE LIKE ME ! I suddenly felt like I was going to faint after about 1 hour or so. It creeps up on you so BE CAREFUL!

I have had no problem sleeping (except for the first couple of nights). Getting up and down gets easier (or should I say you get stronger) - muscles you are not used to using do eventually get stronger and help you. However, all of your muscles in your back will feel very weird - I think this will last a pretty long time until you get used to it.

The thing I would be most wary of is low seats and beds!! I pulled a muscle in my back after I tried to get up off my mum's settee (which is pretty low to the ground) The pain was excrutiating - and a real set back. In order to stop it I had to sleep and rest - so I literally didn't do anything for about a day and a half and this has stopped it so far (crossed fingers).

I will write more when I think of it - but if anyone has any questions please ask.

Thanks again! xxx
    Aged 32
    Surgery in Exeter, UK on 11th November 2008

PHOTOS - Before and After!

Here they are!

xx
    Aged 32

Comment

Amazing photos, Jan. Thanks for sharing those. What was your curve before and after?

Does it hurt to wear pj pants initially? (Having the waistband rest on your scar?)

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you all have a very happy and healthy New Year!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

My curve was an s curve - thoracic - 50 and lumbar 38. I do not know the new size until I see my surgeon in a few weeks. I guess it's at least half of what it was before though.

I bought silk pj's as it's easier to move in bed in them. I had no probs with wearing them though.

All the best!

Jan x
        Aged 32

Comment

Hi Jan. You seem to be doing quite well for 2 weeks out ---- thanks wonderful!!! And the scar....not as bad as I would think....so your story gives me hope. Im due for surgery in less than 3 weeks & its now really starting to set it. I do have some questions for you: Did you have someone stay w/you the whole time in the hospital? If so, did you find that you had issues w/the timing of your meds, etc? Also, when you came home.....did you have constant care....do you still have someone helping you today? Im trying to plan out a schedule and Im not sure where to start and not knowing how helpless I will really be doesnt help. Im glad you are going well....and you look great too! Keep up the good work!! Merry Christmas!!!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your response.

To answer you qu's -
            I didn't have someone in Hospital with me. The Nurses were pretty good with timing my various tablets. I also didn't have any visitors as there was a Noro virus outbreak and the Hospital had to be shut down to incomers!! Was horrible.

Im' from the UK and had this on the NHS so if you're from elsewhere you may be able to have someone stay with you in Hospital - worth checking beforehand.

When I escaped from hospital (I mean when I was released!) I had my partner help me with a lot of things. To be honest you don't need a lot of care when you're out but it's silly things like making tea - bending down to turn plugs (sockets) on or off - putting socks on - picking things up from the floor - etc... that you need help with. Apart from that I tried to be as self sufficient as I could.

Anymore questions - don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Jan x
            Aged 32

Comment

Working...
            X