Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, everybody!!! I'm new nere!

Hello!

I'm Ana from Serbia. I'm 29 years old and I'm diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 11. Then my thoracic curve was about 45 degrees, the lumbar one about 33. I spent a week in a hospital then being prepared for surgery, but neither of my parents would give their consent to operation and I was happy about it then!
    So, they gave me a TSLO brace to wear. And I wore it for a short time. I stopped wearing it after my skin bled due to the friction between the plastic of the brace and my skin.... So, I ignored the problem for about 18 years. I had no pain. I did everything without restrictions. I played volleyball, swam, ran.... I didn't even have a poor self-image at all. I just pretended my spine is as right as it should be.
    I got married in 2003, had my first son in 2004, the second one in 2006. Still I have no problems at all! But my kids made me think in a more responsible way about everything! Now that the younger one isn't a baby any more and that I don't have to watch over him 24/7, I dedicated my thoughts to myself and my future. I've started to worry: what if I have serious helath problems in 5, 10, 15 years time and become a burden to my sons instead of support.....
    having this in mid, I visited my doctor who addmitted me to hopsital for the first time, back there in 1990. He said I'm a "relative" candidate for surgery. He didn't even send me to do x-rays after 18 years! I was a bit disappointed beacuse I wanted to know if my scoliosis was progressive. I insisted to have an x-ray and he sent me to do it. I did it and he said he thought my scoliosis looks the same as 18 years ago-he didn't even measure the angles! still disappionted! But he advised me to come some other time and do some "corrective" x-rays if I opted for surgery!
    Accidentaly, I came across a 40-year-old woman form my town who had surgery two days ago! Her surgery was performed by another doctor form another hospital. I visited him and he said he thinks my curves are moderate, but he was not sure and would not give any prognosis without x-rays. I'm goiung to have these x-rays taken on the 5th january 2009 and afterwards I'm going to hve an appointment with the doctor.
    I have to mention that Serbia is such a small country! We don't have se many orthopedic suregons as you do in the USA. Both of these two surgeons I talked to are the most reputed ones in my country. We have only 2 hopsitals that deal with spine surgery. I also have some dilemmas about docotrs, but i'll write about it some other time, tomorrow probably! Now, I'm off to work!

p.s.I've been on this forum for a while. i've been reading your posts and they are such a help! Finally, I decided to start posting here, too!
    29 y/o female
    diagnosed with scoliosis when 11
    thoracic curve about 45, lumbar about 33
    wore TSLO brace very short
    ignored the problem till Nov 2008
    no problems, no pain but started thinking about future because of my two sons (4.5 and 2.5 years)!
    I had new X-rays taken on 5 Jan
    Soon I'll now how many degrees there are in my curves...

Just want to say hi to you and wish you luck with your new doctor and in getting xrays. welcome
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Ana. As you already know, there are many knowledgeable people on this forum who may be able to give you the benefit of their experience. Welcome!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

@theizzard,
        @JenifferG,

thanx a lot for your welcome posts!

I have a question but I think it's better to open a new thread with the exact subject then to post it here and risk meny people with the answer skipping this introductory thread!

See you in a new thread!
        29 y/o female
        diagnosed with scoliosis when 11
        thoracic curve about 45, lumbar about 33
        wore TSLO brace very short
        ignored the problem till Nov 2008
        no problems, no pain but started thinking about future because of my two sons (4.5 and 2.5 years)!
        I had new X-rays taken on 5 Jan
        Soon I'll now how many degrees there are in my curves...

Comment

Working...
        X