New with questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New with questions!

Hi! I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Emily, 18, from Houston, but go to University of Texas in Austin.
    I'm almost 6 months post-op on the 25th. Fused from T12-L5. 60* lumbar curve before surgery and is now corrected to about 15*. I had a compensatory curve in the thorasic area about 30*, and is about the same as the corrected curve now.
    I'm just now starting to feel better and the pain is lessening, except now the cold weather is aggravating it, I can't win haha.

My back has been popping even though it has been fused, and I was wondering if that's normal.
    And also, I feel that my recovery has been a lot longer and more painful than what other on here have described. Any tips?

Originally posted by ECallinan View Post
    Hi! I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Emily, 18, from Houston, but go to University of Texas in Austin.
    I'm almost 6 months post-op on the 25th. Fused from T12-L5. 60* lumbar curve before surgery and is now corrected to about 15*. I had a compensatory curve in the thorasic area about 30*, and is about the same as the corrected curve now.
    I'm just now starting to feel better and the pain is lessening, except now the cold weather is aggravating it, I can't win haha.

My back has been popping even though it has been fused, and I was wondering if that's normal.
    And also, I feel that my recovery has been a lot longer and more painful than what other on here have described. Any tips?
    I feel a few pops in my lower spine now and then too, and I'm fused T3 to L3. As far as how long recovery takes, it seems to be a very individual thing. No one can say that since they have the same surgery as somone else, that their recovery will be the same. Part of it has to do with the condition you were in just prior to the surgery. Also, everyone has difference tolerance levels towards pain. I always thought mine was low, but after this surgery, I think it's higher than I thought. One comparison is how some people can go through natural childbirth, no drugs and think it's not so bad, and others just HAVE to have the epidural. Very individual experiences.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by ECallinan View Post
      I'm almost 6 months post-op on the 25th. ...

My back has been popping even though it has been fused, and I was wondering if that's normal. ...

Hello, fellow Houstonian! Was your surgery done here? If so, by whom?

The popping is a pretty normal occurrence, and is usually caused by muscles and ligaments dragging over the hardware. I experienced my first incident at about 4-5 weeks post-op when I started driving: I simply leaned back on the seat, and ...*~crack~*! Talk about a shock ;-).

It didn't hurt, but all I could think was "I have 10 vertebra that are now effectively ONE, and they should *certainly* not be able to do that ...". And oddly, it DID feel like a normal pre-op back crack. There was no soreness afterwards so I just kind of blew it off and asked my surgeon about it later.

Debbe's right. Everyone has different recoveries and different pain tolerances. I laughed at the natural vs. epidural analogy, Debbe: I've done both (the natural was NOT by choice ... it was because I went from 3 to 8 in 15 minutes ... they didn't have time!). I'd have THIS surgery again before I ever considered natural childbirth again, yet I have friends who say it's no big deal. Agggh!

Anyway, hang in there, Emily ... it'll get better soon. ;-) Walk, walk, walk ... it really helps!

Best regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you so much everyone! It's good to know I'm not alone in this. My surgery was by Dr. Cubbage in Houston. I saw Dr. Hanson when I was 14 and he didn't even want to brace me, he wanted surgery right away and at the time I was only about 40*. I was a competitive dancer, so I wanted to put off surgery as long as possible.

I thought the same thing about the popping and totally forgot to ask my doctor so I thought someone would have the answer on here haha.
        I've been walking A LOT since I got to college because UT is huge and I have no choice haha, but now I'm home for the holidays and am getting more stiff so thanks for reminding me of that!

The surgery wasn't as bad for me even though apparently I'm allergic to morphine, but everything else recovery wise has been really slow for me. But that could also be due to living on my own for the first time and taking care of an apartment by myself.

Comment

Working...
        X