Dorsal Shear Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsal Shear Forces

Why is the sagittal alignment of the spine so important in the development of idiopathic scoliosis?
    Scoliosis is often associated with flat back and this could play a crucial part in the development of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis.
    Research done on dorsal shear forces indicates that backward inclination of vertebrae in the sagittal (front to back) plane has prognostic significance in the progression of AIS.
    Study has shown that the spine is more rotationally unstable during application of dorsal shear forces and this could therefore be a factor in the development of AIS.

If this is indeed a factor in the etiology of AIS and its progression, one should then ask if can this be prevented?
    A practitioner seeking answers to enhance the treatment of Idiopathic Scoliosis

Blog: www.fixscoliosis.com/

Same deal as yesterday-Clear Institute Methods

This is your same ad as yesterday disguised as a "blog".
    If you really want answers research the studies on etiology rather than offering the Clear Institute method on your web site.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Maybe FixScoliosis can post the peer-reviewed journal articles showing the efficacy of the method because as far as I know, there is a perfect vacuum of evidence of the treatment.

Blog that why doncha?

I'll start a thread wondering about how these folks can sleep at night after pushing a method that has no proof of efficacy.

There is a reason why Chiro is included on Quackwatch. It could be the damn poster boy for Quackwatch with Homeopathy being a near tie for the looninest nonsense treatment.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 12-23-2008, 10:46 PM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Detailed re-read of the literature

If you did read my posts on my blog you would have noticed that they are about what peer reviewed articles has to say about idiopathic scoliosis. There I post comments on what I read and information that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere.
        I thought it might be interesting for the public to know some of this information and therefore I began my blog.

It was also suggested by Bagnall in his review paper in Scoliosis journal, that a detailed re-read of the literature would be useful in the search of the etiology of AIS.

It is true that my blog has two links, one to my clinic website and one to clear institute. I believe that being upfront with my background may help people evaluate my comments on the blog as readers may not agree with all my opinions.

If this bother members of NSF forum and they are not interested in reading comments on what research papers actually do say and not just reading abstracts from PubMed, then I can stop making comments on your forum.

Comment

Evidence is always welcome.

Paranormal treatments are not exempted from this welcome (though they always exempt themselves for some reason).

Feel free to pony up any evidence any time.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

one has to begin somewhere

there is a lot of research out there and I believe that there can be better treatment alternatives in the near future that are more effective than bracing.

following article "Neurophysiological basis of rehabilitation of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis." stated
            "All in all, the reflections in this paper highlight that
            neurophysiological constraints to control axial posture make
            modification of deep rooted anomalies very
            complicated. This explains why in order to stop curve
            progression, or improve scoliosis, a long-term and
            repetitive exercise training should be carried out."

I personally believe that we should at least explore alternative ways of treating idiopathic scoliosis, it does not mean that all of them will be successful.

Comment

Start?

How many decades has chiro been trying to treat scoliosis?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

failure is a fact when you stop trying

I am sure that chiropractic profession has tried to fix scoliosis since its beginning and probably without greater success. Lantz did conclude in his study that pure manipulation of the spine in not effective in correcting scoliosis.

Does this mean that we should stop improving and exploring new methods that could work better? I do not think so and I certainly hope that people would strive to come up with a better treatment that produces good results consistently.

Comment

Very good, honest answer. To your great credit.

The next time someone comes on here and touts the efficacy of chiro, I'm going to reference your answer that there is no proof (you being a chiro type).

Now let's move on to any type of PT. Any evidence whatsoever that it helps scolisois?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pure manpulation does not work.

Pooka1, No need to refer to me, they probably will not listen anyway, refer to the source below.

J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug;24(6):385-93.

Effect of chiropractic intervention on small scoliotic curves in younger subjects: a time-series cohort design.
                    Lantz CA, Chen J.
                    Life University, Marietta, GA, USA.

BACKGROUND: Chiropractors have long claimed to affect scoliotic curves, and case studies abound reporting on successful outcomes. No clinical trials exist,
                    however, that evaluate chiropractic's effectiveness in the management of
                    scoliotic curves.
                    OBJECTIVE: To assess the effectiveness of chiropractic intervention in the management of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in curves less than 20 degrees.

RESULTS: There was no discernable effect on the severity of the curves as a function of age, initial curve severity, frequency of care, or attending physician.
                    CONCLUSION: Full-spine chiropractic adjustments with heel lifts and postural and lifestyle counseling are not effective in reducing the severity of scoliotic curves.

So if pure manipulation dosent work, we need to explore new and better ways of helping people affected with Idioparhic Scoliosis.

Comment

That seems like a good reference.

Thanks.

Happy Holidays.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

PT and scoliosis

as for PT and effectiveness in treating scoliosis, would be best answered by a PT who knows what they are talking about.
                        I may have missed or overloked a vital paper in my search for information.

PubMed is a good place to start to look for information.
                        some writers that are intersting in this area are some Italians
                        Smania, Negrini and Romano

their abstracts sound very good, but upon reading some of the actual papers, the results are really not that exiting.

Maybe a PT could answer this question better than me.

I will post some thoughts about bracing in my next comment...

Comment

Thanks.

I have read some papers on PT. I agree that Italian group is putting stuff out there and I further agree with your assessment of the forcefulness (or complete lack thereof) of their results.

I don't think there is much evidence that PT can help scoliosis. For example, even Schroth realizes this and thus pushes the Cheneau brace.

Speaking of Schroth, I did a cursory analysis of Weiss' papers from a search in pubmed. I'd be interested in your opinion on my analysis...

----

I searched pubmed for Weiss HR + scoliosis and indeed the three pages of pubs that Writer mentioned showed up.

These are 57 publications in various journals, most with Weiss as first author, dating from 1991 to 2008 inclusive. There are 4 review articles, all since 2002, amazingly (or not amazingly if this field is very different than mine). I have no idea which are peer reviewed and which are not (except of the recent one which indeed is peer reviewed as Writer claimed).

I tried to determine how many of these 57 were novel research on Schroth exercise or Cheneau bracing (i.e., Weiss' putative or most favorite field) of these articles which cover more than a few subjects. As far as I can tell, there are 14 (maybe a few more) that fit into that category. I determined this from the title in some cases when obvious or from the abstract.

Most of these 14 articles make a positive case for either Schroth exercise or the Cheneau brace. I don't know how many of these are in good, peer-reviewed journals.

Some questions I have include:

1. There seems to be a high chance of data selection in any/all retrospective studies. Were all cases that matched controls included or just some?

2. What does it mean that surgery was avoided? That is, was the length of time after skeletal maturity sufficient to be confident that surgery was avoided forever? What happens if the exercises are stopped?

3. Given Schroth has 90 years of data, why are the bulk of Weiss' pubs NOT novel research papers? Why all the reviews? Why all the papers critiquing surgery or other treatment modalities instead of papers on studies supporting Schroth?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

PubMed

my understanding is that ALL journals listed in PubMed are peer-reviewed.
                            it does not include all good peer-reviewed journals, but they cover the vast majority.
                            that is why it so popular.

Pooka1, I will get back to your question in a few days.

great holidays to everybody

Comment

Originally posted by FixScoliosis View Post
                              I am sure that chiropractic profession has tried to fix scoliosis since its beginning and probably without greater success. Lantz did conclude in his study that pure manipulation of the spine in not effective in correcting scoliosis.
                              Oh, puh-leeze.

They haven't shown ANY long term (more than DAYS) success. They still charge a pretty penny to convince patients/parents they CAN cure it.

AND they continue to prey on the uneducated ... and take their money without qualms.
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X