Another Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie

I am a 35 year old woman who was Boston braced from ages 11-16. I have an S curve that was 29 thorax and 25 lumbar when I was 11, and was somewhere in the 30's at 21 when the clinic signed off on me.

For the past ~ 4 years I have had thoracic back pain on the convex side of my curve with tingling between my spine and scapula. I have also had neck and shoulder pain and tingling in my right hand. I also get severe tension headaches. All of my symptoms are on the convex side of my curve. I have gone through a bunch of PT and use a chiropractor, and even though I'm faithful in my exercises, my pain is not managed. I take Relefen and Norflex daily.

I have an appointment at the scoliosis clinic that used as an adolescent on January 14. But in the meantime I'm just wondering if my situation rings a bell with anyone. My neurologist and PT told me that my symptoms have nothing to do with scoliosis, but the chiropractor is pretty certain that is the cause.

I would love any advice you can give me!
    Last edited by LeeJo; 12-26-2008, 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

Check out Spinecor

They are starting to work with adults and bracing with Spinecor - you may not have heard of it. I think they are seeing results with pain reduction with this brace. My daughter wears it as a teen and is not restricted as with other braces.
    Haley's Mom
    Diagnosed June 2007, Age 11 - NO BASELINE (TOLD TO WAIT)
    Jan 2008 Age 12 - T24 (TOLD TO WAIT UGHH!)
    Apr 2008 Age 12.5 - T30 Riser 4
    Apr 2008 SpineCor in brace T19
    May 2008 in brace T24
    Oct 2008 Age 13 - T23! Still Riser 4
    Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

I have checked on the spinecor thanks to your post. There is a part of me that recoils at the thought of any brace. I still have nightmares about my brace. Though the spinecor does look different. I will certainly ask about it, thanks Haleysmom!
      35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

Comment

neck pain/ headaches

I get neck and shoulder pain, as well as the tension headaches.

And though my spine is fused from low C's to high/mid L I think you might have the same problem I get.

I found that when I am sleeping with too high a pillow that my neck would get over stretched, and so would hurt, then I would try to stretch it because it was sore.... cycle continued. But once I switched to a thinner pillow a lot of the neck pain and headaches went away.

As for the shoulder pain, I found I just needed a really fat pillow under my head when I sleep on that one side.

I also get the occasional light massage and cranial sacral therapy for it. And a heating pad.

I hope that helps some,
        Tessa

Comment

Working...
        X