Cooking and recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking and recipes

Ok, while this isn't directly related to surgery or scoliosis, food is an alternative medicine, sooo....

What foods do you like and do you have recipes for them? Share.

I found this one: Tangy Honey Glazed Ham when looking for a nice ham recipe, and it turned out really really nice. I had no pinapple juice and no oranges, so I used a tangerine instead. It turned out really well.

French Onion Soup Very nice and tasty! (a small hand torch is really good for melting the cheese on top)

Hollandaise Sauce Very good for eggs benedict. I mix it by hand, so you dont have to us a blender.

Irish Spicy Cornbread Ok, so cornbread isn't Irish, but I am, so thats why its Irish. Yes this is my cornbread recipe, and I use Louisiana hot sauce not tobasco as tobasco has a very distinct flavour.

You might have noticed I like Allrecipes.com. Cause I do. http://www.copykat.com/ and http://recipelink.com/ are good places to find recipes from your favorite restaurants.

So what are your alternative healing methods through food? Link or write em up.

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe Ever!

Since it's the Holidays and i love to bake I thought I would share one of my favorite cookie recipes.

1/4 c boiling water
    1/2 c butter
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 egg
    1/2 c molasses
    1/2 c brown sugar
    3 c flour

Melt butter in water. Combine all ingredients. Chill dough for 2 hours. Roll and cut into shapes. Bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes. Cool on racks and decorate with frosting. I use a simple powdered sugar glaze. Makes about 24 cookies
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

My favorite chocolate cake

I will be making this for Christmas dinner. I decided to forget the cookie baking like I usually do every year (50-60 batches and give as gifts) since it's not so easy for me to get things in and out of the oven. So I'm making a few specific batches for friend's favorites and that's that.

This is a Barefood Contessa recipe....YUM!!

Butter, for greasing the pans
      1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
      2 cups sugar
      3/4 cups good cocoa powder
      2 teaspoons baking soda
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon kosher salt
      1 cup buttermilk, shaken
      1/2 cup vegetable oil
      2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
      1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
      1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
      Chocolate Buttercream, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
      Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.

Chocolate Frosting:
      6 ounces good semisweet chocolate (recommended: Callebaut)
      1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
      1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature
      1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
      1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
      1 tablespoon instant coffee powder

Chop the chocolate and place it in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until just melted and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
      In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue beating for 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar, then beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until smooth and creamy. Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of the hottest tap water. On low speed, add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture and mix until blended. Don't whip! Spread immediately on the cooled cake.

I make a double batch of the frosting since my family thinks one batch isn't enough. I'm not normally one for butter cream frostings, but OMG is this good!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My healthy(er) Carrot Cake

3-4 cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
        1/2 cup brown sugar
        3/4 cup sultanas
        2 eggs
        1/3 cup white sugar
        1/8 cup oil
        1 tsp vanilla extract
        tin crushed pineapple, drained but not dry
        1-1/2 cups wholemeal flour
        1 tsp baking soda
        1/2 tsp salt
        2 tsp ground cinnamon
        1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots, sultanas and brown sugar. Set aside for 1/2 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place baking paper in two 10 inch cake pans. (I just use the one which makes one big cake. But if you do two, you can glue them together with frosting and it makes a nice tall cake.)

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.

Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven or 50-60 minutes for the one cake, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for ten minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle top with extra crushed walnuts.

Cream cheese frosting. Use 1 small pack of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, a few tsps of lemon juice and enough icing sugar to make a thick consistency.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
        X