cookies, shopping & surgery...fa la la la la la la laaaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cookies, shopping & surgery...fa la la la la la la laaaa

Hello everyone! Im finally done shopping with 3 days left....a record!! And as I type Im waiting for my 3rd batch of cookies to bake. My mother doesnt bake anymore, so I guess its my job now!

Its down to 24 days til go time & getting more and more anxious by the minute. Hopefully I will be able to make it all the way Pre-Op day before I start on something to calm my nerves. Ughhhhh......

Here is another question for everyone.....Im sure I asked this already somewhere along the way, but I cant remember. Everyone on the site that Ive run across who has had or is going to have an a/p surgery, has had time in between each one. From what I understand Im having mine all at once. This kind of worries me...Im feeling like the "odd mad out" so to speak. What are the reasons why some must wait in between & others such as myself are able to get it taken care all at once. Or is there possibly more to it? Anyone have anything to share - send it my way!!

Hope everyone has a great Holiday Season!!!! Stay warm!!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Lynn

I had asked the same question before I had my surgery. My Dr. was going to do A/P all in one day but at the pre op he decided just to do the P which I was greatful for. Anyways when I asked him about doing it all in one day his answer was surgeons prefrence as long as your doing OK with the first he prefers to do it all at once.

Good Luck
    Patty
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
      Here is another question for everyone.....Im sure I asked this already somewhere along the way, but I cant remember. Everyone on the site that Ive run across who has had or is going to have an a/p surgery, has had time in between each one. From what I understand Im having mine all at once.
      It's not uncommon for the surgeries to be done on the same day. I chose to have mine on the same day. You should definitely check with Dr. Tribus to be certain.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I would have loved mine to be all at once! However, my surgery was so extensive that my surgeon felt it would be too much all at once (maybe my age also?)- the first surgery was 9 hours and the second 4. I too think that would have been too much and I got along fine with both of the surgeries. It is just really hard to get ready mentally to "do it again, Sam" for the 2nd.
        Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
        Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
        Age 54
        T10 to Sacrum
        Curve 65 degrees
        Very straight now!!!

Comment

Hi LynneMarie,
          My situation was similar to NancyJoy's. I Think age has a lot to do with it, but also the complexity of the surgery. My nerve roots were entrapped in bone, so that took a lot of time to separate everything so as not to cause permanent nerve damage. My discs were degenerated along with severe arthritis. My Doctor said bleeding is a factor and after 12 hours, I would think that the Doctor would be fatigued as well. He likes to separate the surgeries by a week or so to give the patient's body time to recover. My second surgery was 7 hours long. Not to diminish the difficulty of any scoliosis surgeries, I would think with a young person who doesn't have degenerated discs or arthritis, it would take a lot less time to perform both surgeries. Time under anesthesia is a definite factor. Enjoy those cookies.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks everyone.....I appreciate the feed back. I was told the whole thing would take about 8 hrs....w/a quick wake up in between.....sounds like you ladies were a little more complex........Im glad it all worked out for U! Take care & Marry Xmas!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
            X