interesting paper on improvement of curve of an adult with exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting paper on improvement of curve of an adult with exercise

I get automatic notices from info@biomedcentral.com for scoliosis. this is from http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/alerts and thought I'd pass this one on. It was a case study of an adult (in her 20's) who practiced SEAS, an exercise program designed for scoliosis. She improved her curve significantly beyond the 5 percent margin of error. I have the full study if anyone wants it.

For some reason, software does not allow me to copy quote from article and I keep losing it. So just in case let me just put info in my own words here. It was a 25 yr old woman whose curve was diminished from 47 to 28.5 in the course of a year. And curve was measured blindly twice by same physician who had an excellent error rate of less than 3 degrees

Laurie

Case Report
    Adult scoliosis can be reduced through specific SEAS exercises: a case report
    Negrini A, Parzini S, Negrini M, Romano M, Atanasio S, Zaina F, Negrini S
    Scoliosis, 2008 3:20 ( 16 December 2008 )
    [Abstract] [Provisional PDF]

Case presentation All radiographs have been measured blindly twice using the same protractor by one expert physician whose repeatability error proved to be <3° Cobb; the average measurement has been used. In this case a 25 years old female scoliosis patient, previously treated from 14(Risser1) to 19 years of age with a decrease of the curve from 46° to 37°, showed a progression of 10° Cobb in 6 years. The patient has then been treated with SEAS exercises only, and in one year progression has been reverted from 47° to28.5°.
    Last edited by lauriek; 12-21-2008, 02:48 PM.

It's true that curves can be reduced--temporarily-- but the long term correction/maintenance I've yet to see, after treatment is stopped. We all wish it could be so simple.
    Here is the abstract I was able to get from PubMed:

1: Scoliosis. 2008 Dec 16;3(1):20. [Epub ahead of print]
    Adult scoliosis can be reduced through specific SEAS exercises: a case report.Negrini A, Parzini S, Negrini MG, Romano M, Atanasio S, Zaina F, Negrini S.
    ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: It has been known since many years that scoliosis can continue to progress after skeletal maturity: the rate of progression has shown to be linear, and it can be used to establish an individual prognosis. Once there is progression there is an indication for treatment: usually it is proposed a surgical one. There are very few papers on an alternative rehabilitation approach; since many years we propose specific SEAS exercises and the aim of this study is to present one case report on this approach. METHODS: Case report. All radiographs have been measured blindly twice using the same protractor by one expert physician whose repeatability error proved to be <3 degrees Cobb; the average measurement has been used. RESULTS: This case reports on a 25 years old female scoliosis patient, previously treated with Risser casts and Lyon braces from 14 (Risser 1) to 19 years of age with a decrease of the curve from 46 degrees to 37 degrees. She showed in adulthood a progression of 10 degrees Cobb in 6 years. Consequently, the patient has then been treated with SEAS exercises, and in one year progression has been reverted from 47 degrees to 28.5 degrees. CONCLUSIONS: A scoliosis curve is made of different components: the structural bony and ligamentous components, and a postural one that counts up to 9 degrees in children, while it has not been quantified in adults. This case shows that when adult scoliosis aggravates it is possible to intervene with specific exercises (SEAS) not just to get stability, but to recover last years collapse. The reduction of scoliotic curve through rehabilitation presumably does not indicate a reduction of the bone deformity, but rely on a recovery of the upright postural collapse. This reduction can decrease the chronic asymmetric load on the spine and, in the long run, reduce the risks of progression.

PMID: 19087344 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

My question is: Is the correction still holding and must she do intensive exercising the rest of her life?
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
    X