mylo & cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mylo & cat

sounds like a cartoon doesn't it? Anyway, when I saw Dr. Rand he told me that it was necessary to have a mylogram with a (staggered) cat scan as diagnostic tools before surgery. Before my 3 level fusion i had a discogram and that was it. So is it common to have a mylogram before extensive scoliosis surgery? I don't know exactly what they are looking for, does anyone know?
    thanks,
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Hi Avis,
    With a CT Myelogram, they inject a dye into your spine, and from various positions, they can tell where the nerves are pinched, because the dye won't travel beyond a place where there is a stenosis or narrowing at the nerve roots, especially if you are bending in a certain way. Whether it is standard to do this, I don't know for sure, but I would think if you are in pain or have a neurological deficit, it would be absolutely necessary. Dr. Rand is very thorough and doesn't want to miss anything that might cause you pain after the surgery is complete. The test is a little uncomfortable but not terribly so. They will keep you at the hospital for a couple of hours (maybe 4 hours) after the test to make sure you don't have any after effect from the dye. They will want you to prop yourself up on two pillows to sleep at night so you don't get a headache. The thing I liked best about Dr. Rand was his quiet confidence. I felt very safe in his hands. I know you will do just fine. If I can help in any other way, feel free to ask.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Avis,

Dr. Rand also scheduled a "mylo & cat" for me. I had lots of numbness and pain in my legs which sorely limited my activity and quality of life. Dr. Rand never promised me I would regain lost height, but he did promise me he would do everything he could to get rid of that pain in my legs. The "mylo and cat" provided him information about the original of my pain. He regarded the three inches I regained as a bonus!

Sally's assessment and information is on target. I do remember feeling a bit woozy during the test. Following the test, I was transferred to a bed on a floor where knee surgery patients recover. I was in a private room and once I was settled, they told me to order lunch when I was ready to eat. I told the nurse assigned to me that Dr. Rand was going to do my fusion and asked her where Dr. Rand's patients went after the recover room. She said "just down the hall in the next wing". I asked if I could take a walk over there when I was ready to leave. She then said "Let me call over and see if one of the nurses can give you a tour of the floor and answer any questions you may have". That is the kind of service and care you can expect to receive at New England Baptist. Dr. Rand may use his words quietly and sparingly but his level of sincerity, care and thoroughness are never at issue. I have the utmost respect for him and boundless gratitude for what he did for me.

Linda W.
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
      X