Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had my operation!

Hi all,

I had my op a week ago. All went well - back is pretty straight!
    For all those people (or parents of kids) wanting up to date info about the operation - before / after etc - Please ask.

I will write about how it went soon when I am a little less sore!!

Jan
    Aged 32
    Surgery in Exeter, UK on 11th November 2008

Congratulations Jan. I hope you are feeling as well as your post sounds!

How wonderful to have the surgery over! Wish it was me!

I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations on having it over with! I look forward to hearing all your details when you are up to posting. They told me that the first 2 weeks were the worst, and in my opinion, that is true. Good luck getting through the worst of it!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by JAN 76 View Post
        Hi all,

I had my op a week ago. All went well - back is pretty straight!
        For all those people (or parents of kids) wanting up to date info about the operation - before / after etc - Please ask.

I will write about how it went soon when I am a little less sore!!

Jan
        Congratulations, Jan!

Please do share your story when you are able.

Take care of yourself in the meantime!

Marian

Comment

Yay, glad you are done. Want to hear all the details when you are feeling up to it.
          Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
          Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
          Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
          www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Congrats to you!!!! Im glad all went well...and eh, you must be feeling decent as you made it on line-thats awesome! I hope Im in that postion 1 week post op!! Best of luck on your continued recovery! And of course, please post more details when you are up to it!! Take care!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi Jan, good to hear from you - take your time and get well - we will still be here waiting for your good results....rest up
              Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Details of my recent Op'

hey everyone,

Thank you for your kind words - everyone on here is so supportive!

Well, here are the details of my recent op -

All went well - I am fused from T3 to L3. When I came round they gave me a little too much Morphine and I stopped breathing apparently! So they put me on some other pain killers which were not anyway near as good!

I was in hospital from Tuesday til Sunday - I must've done everything they wanted me to. I have to say that the hospital visit was horrible (it may not be for you though!) I couldn't wait to leave.

I have definately found that after 2 weeks it's like you reach they 'next phase' both physically and mentally. I have tried to be as lazy as possible - it's been HARD doing nothing though.

It is exactly 2 weeks and 1 day since I had my operation - and at this stage I am able to sit up for around 45 mins without too much pain. I usually lie down most of the time though.

Yesterday I went into town for breakfast and a little walk around the shops - DON'T DO IT AT THIS STAGE LIKE ME ! I suddenly felt like I was going to faint after about 1 hour or so. It creeps up on you so BE CAREFUL!

I have had no problem sleeping (except for the first couple of nights). Getting up and down gets easier (or should I say you get stronger) - muscles you are not used to using do eventually get stronger and help you. However, all of your muscles in your back will feel very weird - I think this will last a pretty long time until you get used to it.

The thing I would be most wary of is low seats and beds!! I pulled a muscle in my back after I tried to get up off my mum's settee (which is pretty low to the ground) The pain was excrutiating - and a real set back. In order to stop it I had to sleep and rest - so I literally didn't do anything for about a day and a half and this has stopped it so far (crossed fingers).

I will write more when I think of it - but if anyone has any questions please ask.

Thanks again! xxx
                Aged 32

Comment

How interesting, we're both T3 to L3. I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing. I started physical therapy last week and it's great. I amazed myself last night when I bent over to kiss my daughter goodnight in bed. It ALMOST felt automatic!

Merry CHristmas!

Comment

Hi Debbe,

Hope the physical therapy is going well. Sounds good - think i'll enquire about this on the NHS for the near future.

Wow - we both have the same! Feels weird doesn't it? I feel like I have a back brace on!

Take care,

Jan x
                    Aged 32

Comment

Originally posted by JAN 76 View Post
                      Hi Debbe,

Hope the physical therapy is going well. Sounds good - think i'll enquire about this on the NHS for the near future.

Wow - we both have the same! Feels weird doesn't it? I feel like I have a back brace on!

Take care,

Jan x

Hey Jan,

You know, it felt like that to me in the beginning too (like a back brace), but now 2 1/2 months later, it really doesn't. It's starting to feel 'normal'. I'm weaning myself down off the pain meds, down to 2 pills per day and sometimes I feel 'stiff', which I'm hoping will pass.

Keep up the recovery!

Comment

Working...
                      X